College Basketball 2023-24 Discussion

Nailing my question before anyone else has time to guess!

3 Likes

I mean, the point is that there’s not an upward trajectory among coaches so most everyone is just stuck.

If people aren’t moving out of good not great jobs into blue blood jobs, then other people aren’t moving into good not great jobs, the best mid-major coaches aren’t getting decent high major jobs, etc.

1 Like

I imagine Lester Abram came close

Ugh, I threw up a little in my mouth.

Virginia has scored under 50 points in four games this season. They’ve scored 60 or less in 12 games.

I might never stop vomiting if we bring in Bennett.

3 Likes

I’ll answer the Fran question like this - I think you want a coach who’s going to be consistently “good” and hope that you catch lightning in a bottle a couple times and have a "great’ season. You could argue that’s who Beilein was. Make the tournament almost every year, contend for a banner every 4th year or so…that’s a dang good coach.

I would add that if you’re going to get a consistent top-35 coach, I’d prefer them run a fun style of play like Fran than someone in the Bennett tree of coaching.

3 Likes

It’s basically impossible for a team to be as bad in the postseason as Fran’s tenure has gone, relative to how good his teams were. Some of that is bad luck … COVID year killing a good team, having to play a team on a bye (!) in the NCAAT, etc.

Some of that is just losing a few games. But you would take that level of consistent success and know that its impossible to repeat that sort of thing.

2 Likes

when we look back at Beilein players, I think you’d say THJ was definitely not an S-tier player (explanation here if you haven’t encountered the concept). but where do you think he fits? he feels like a borderline A/B guy to me but I wonder if I’m underrating him by not saying he’s definitely A.

S-tier would be guys like Trey, Nik, Caris (I think?)

okay I’m looking at all the rosters now and thinking I should just make this a topic and spend the next six hours arranging every one of those players into tiers

2 Likes

was this the empty gym year and a team advanced because their opponent had too much Covid

1 Like

Yep. VCU got Covid. Oregon advanced and ran Iowa out of the gym.

3 Likes

Not particularly. Lester had 106 career starts in 120 career games. Too injury prone to be a “starts every game of his career” guy. Jalen Rose was close- 101 starts in 102 career games. Wonder if the one has something to do with the “crack house” situation.

It’ll never happen, but if the college basketball gods can bless us with this current Kentucky team deciding to “run it back” they would be pure cinema next season

No. God no.

1 Like

https://x.com/robdauster/status/1760306052351070654?s=46&t=aDh8NkT4I1bGjqImv_NXRw

While I generally agree, it’s so weird how UConn is the media darling. If this was many many other coaches, these guys would be having an aneurysm freaking out about the behavior.

1 Like

FWIW, Dauster is openly a UConn fan.

1 Like

You mean the guy whose Twitter pic is him opening a sport coat to show a hidden UConn jersey? :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Ah shoot ok haha that’s an L for me then. Still feel like UConn is so beloved by those national folks but :person_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

Wake Forest currently 21 on KP but next four out on most brackets. I would kill myself.

Gonzaga 19 but in last 4 in on most brackets. Very good chance if either team is in the tournament they will be favored in Round 1. Probably will be against my Rams :frowning:

1 Like