College Basketball 2023-24 Discussion

Haha I like Schertz but there is no way on earth that he’s better than Bennett. Unless watching a good offensive team is more important than watching a winning basketball team (and I realize to some people it is)

4 Likes

We sure they make the tourney? :eyes::eyes:

Pipe dreams, categorized;

Who cares about money:
Otz

Who cares about morals:
Beard

Who cares about money and morals:
Oats

Who cares about NCAA rules:
Miller

Who cares about watching a fun basketball team:
Bennett

Who cares about money and morals and NCAA rules:
Pitino

Who cares about money and morals and NCAA rules, but only specifically if they lose in the first round:
Calipari

Who cares about anything let’s buy a UMhoops bomb shelter and prepare for impending death:
Juwan

8 Likes

This is an elite list.

1 Like

Alright you guys convinced me. Give me Tony Bennett, Kevin Ollie, or Tubby Smith!

Winning is fun

Add Scott drew and Bruce pearl and this list is my dream list

2 Likes

Definitely not a better coach right now but if you put Schertz at a high major with the exact same resources as Virginia who is more likely to win a title?

Bennett has won his title and made a ton more money. What’s his appetite for recruiting these days? How much longer does he even want to be coaching? Valid questions imo. If the question is better coach it’s Bennett but if it’s who to hire that’s a lot muddier.

I’d still take Bennett because I’m skeptical of anyone with a very short track record no matter how excellent. But also in general there is likely a higher than usual number of excellent coaches in the lower ranks because the major programs keep hiring from within.

2 Likes

I’m kind of surprised on this take from you cause Tony is extremely not a bag guy

Reset coach preference, calipari or bennett? I think I’d go with calipari because his brand of basketball is more enjoyable, higher and his demanding nature would be improve the program and set it up for future success.

This is buckets at his best. Bravo

1 Like

This is an interesting theory

2 Likes

There’s something hilarious about how high of a percentage of this list involves not caring about morals

3 Likes

It’s really shocking how many “big jobs” have gone to guys on staffs (Villanova, Duke, UNC), NBA guys (Michigan, Louisville) or assistants (Arizona, Kansas State) or all of this different stuff. It does feel like it has sort of set a ceiling on a lot of candidates coming up the old fashioned way.

There just hasn’t been upward movement from top 25 to top 10 coaches to the extent we are used to.

4 Likes

How about some Michigan hoops trivia!?

I was perusing the record book the other day and came across this one-- Who is the only player in Michigan basketball history to play at least 100 games in a Michigan uniform and start every single one of them?

3 Likes

Question for the board that I am ashamed to admit I spent 10 minutes in bed thinking about last night

If you could guarantee that Michigan’s next hire was Fran McCaffery, not actual Fran McCaffery but Fran McCaffery in both success (tons of solid NCAAT teams, no S16 runs, a BTT title once every 10 years and that’s about it) and style (fun, elite offense and no defense)

Would you take that?

My gut reaction was obviously no but then I thought about all the realistic “up and comer” options and realized a Fran-like career in the Big Ten would probably be closer to their ceiling than their floor.

3 Likes

Is it THJ?

1 Like

Fran is basically average top-35 KenPom finish over the last decade. NCAAT 8 out of 10 years.

It’s almost impossible to “be Fran McCaffery and not actual Fran McCaffery” and not have the postseason success. Even by dumb luck.

So yeah, you’d take that. But it more means the fundamentals than the postseason results.

5 Likes

I don’t think there’s more mid major coaching talent. I think it’s gotten way more difficult to hire high major coaches away because everyone has a lot of money now and it’s become easier to win big in odd non traditional places.

Key clarification, does this hypothetical coach come with or without Frantrums? Because I’m in if we get Frantrums. Not so much if it’s an even-keeled boring human.

3 Likes