College Basketball 2023-24 Discussion

Madsen taking that job still surprises me. He probably could have had his pick of power schools, and he picked one that at the time was desperately looking for a conference to join. Plus he’s a Stanford guy.

Like I said, he basically finishes 50-100th in KenPom every year. He’s inoffensive. Not good enough to really impress, not bad enough to get fired.

I don’t think he had quite that cache. He’s in a similar spot as like Josh Schertz kind of? Madsen has his history in the NBA while Schertz has the D2 dominance, both have a small D1 resume. Honestly Stanford should have fired Haase so they could hire Madsen.

But I also think with the proliferation of the portal, coaches are maybe a little more likely to jump at the first P5 offer.

Another interesting coach that I like that’s doing pretty well year 1: Amir Abdur Rahim. Decently improvement YoY, 9-1 in conference. Highly impressive what he did at KSU. One to watch moving forward

1 Like

Yep. Like him a lot. He also just brought a bunch of his guys with him though.

Is 2 a bunch?

Any thoughts on the end of game play by Villanova??

https://twitter.com/BracketNky/status/1755431289052659740

this reminds me of the nightmare everyone gets where you have a final exam but you never attended class

5 Likes

Thats gotta pretty much seal the deal for Kyle Neptune getting bounced

Very good set but the screeners didn’t close the elevator doors properly (excellent macro coaching but poor micro coaching? Can we relate?). X defended it beautifully. The kids obviously had no idea what to do once the set failed. Best option was probably to use that final timeout once the set failed (7-8 seconds left at that point).

2 Likes

This is a great example of why running something simple that puts the ball in your best player’s hands is sometimes better than running a “set”.

If a set gets blown up, you are in big trouble.

Definitely should have used the timeout though.

4 Likes

The Elite 8 run with the FGCU did a lot of heavy lifting for him.

Harrison Ingram very successfully moving more off ball for UNC is an interesting storyline.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/CBKReport/status/1756037907964477522?t=ONi1lOOn7wfIV7qIBR7u2Q&s=19

:open_mouth:

7 Likes

Yes I’ve noticed that too. It’s crazy how things work out and the ripple effect of past events…

If GG Jackson never reclassed and went to South Carolina he would’ve been a freshman at UNC this year. Does that mean UNC even bothers with Ingram? GG was a disaster last year at South Carolina, but is now killing it in the league as of late. Would GG have panned out and been a top 3 pick at UNC? Would GG have been better than Ingram? Probably not but a crazy series of events to think about and how Hubert Davis might be a lucky man for having Ingram off-ball work so well because it wouldn’t have been off-ball for GG

Jameer Nelson and Delonte West were super nice at St. Joe’s.

4 Likes

I have a basic recollection of all these teams except Mississippi State which is completely inscrutable to me

1 Like

Zeb is balling right now.

3 Likes

Rattled off 7 quick ones and had a nice dish.

VCU beat Dayton 49-47. Both teams should be set adrift.