College Basketball 2023-24 Discussion

Super League is great for football and great for making money. So it will happen.

It will have long lasting damaging impact on the sport of CBB though.

All other sports seem to have a basic willingness to commit to a set of rules about how teams are assembled. And there are plenty of rules that are still followed and enforced in the NCAA, for that matter.

Agree with all of this. The other really unique thing about college basketball is the sheer number of teams involved (362 currently in D1, I believe). This really accentuates your 3rd bullet, making the talent across the entire landscape really diffuse, which ultimately means the best teams are probably not as good as the best teams from the past. This is where I think a lot of the feeling that college basketball is “worse” is coming from, at least for me. I watch Michigan, and then after that I want to watch the best teams play, but for the reasons you articulated that isn’t as satisfying now.

Also, because of portal movement we just don’t get to really know a lot of these players (at least for me, I probably only have 5-6 hours a week to devote to college basketball outside of Michigan’s games, but the number of guys I feel like I have to keep track of in my mental rolodex in order to follow the sport has tripled the last few years).

As far as solutions, I agree with Dylan that a salary cap seems like a bad idea. I don’t think we make any progress until there is TV revenue sharing set up with the players. I think you could negotiate an arrangement where revenue sharing with an individual player is tied to how long they are at the school…you start at a certain base and it doubles each year you stay at that particular school. If you transfer it starts over at the base level. That way you don’t have to restrict the transfer portal, players can come and go as they please, but their TV revenue share is significantly impacted, which hopefully would slow down some of the player movement.

Agreed, I’m all set on the 24-26 year olds that aren’t good enough for the nba

That’s what the G league or Poland are for.

https://twitter.com/NJHoopsHaven/status/1755404822541402153

2 Likes

I don’t follow … why would they sit out if it would cost them eligibility? If anything, the fact that the year didn’t count was an incentive to not play.

https://twitter.com/blakebyler45/status/1755427866798338335

:popcorn:

1 Like

I think he’s following the Izzo model. See you in East Lansing.

how is Mark Sears still there? what the heck?

He transferred there after two years at Ohio. Still has the COVID year next year, I think.

https://x.com/cbb_central/status/1755598760225468551?s=46&t=OMxEAgg62bsLI0mWenDZ7w

@BigBoutros moved up 50 spots on KP in last month

4 Likes

Holy hell though, USC is a disaster.

5 Likes

my true love

The Andy Enfield era gives me whiplash

Seemed like the template of hires I’m skeptical of (won a few games in March)

Then recruited like a demon (ok, he hired the Mobley kids dad but also recruited well elsewhere) seemed like it was working

Then poof

2 Likes

Basically been in the 50-100 range every year. It’s a weird job because I don’t think anyone really cares about USC basketball.

He’s basically just West Coast Willard or Cooley in a lot of ways there.

The move to UCF makes some sense though.

The Pac12 being absolutely terrible for the last few years has not helped anyone. Basically no margin for error in that league.

Is the talk he’s getting fired and moves to UCF? I was wondering if he’d go to FAU, that’s a bit more like his stops in LA and FGCU locale wise than UCF

Could be a pretty big coaching carousel this year

1 Like

I don’t think getting fired, just moving on before he gets fired. More of a parachute situation.

UCF is a Big 12 job… FAU is … not. I would think UCF makes more sense.

2 Likes

I don’t really pay attention to them but do you think he’s a good basketball coach? The talent/result ratio is generally not very good

Is Enfield filthy rich like Ed Cooley??

2 Likes

Wasn’t he a finance trader guy that made a ton of money and said “hey I’ll try coaching”

(Looked at wiki, I guess he was a “shooting consultant”for a few NBA teams before finance)