College Basketball 2023-24 Discussion

I mean, as soon as I saw Self trying to get Hunter to play at the level of the screen I was confident they’d have some growing pains. And they don’t seem to have a 5th starter so yeah I dk what to tell you. I don’t see what it has to do with how good Hunter is. The people who were hype on Kansas haven’t been more wrong about Hunter compared to how wrong they are about everything else.

Is the idea that a “fifth starter” – and hasn’t Furphy been decent? – would fix the defense?

There’s no shame in losing at ISU, I assume KenPom had them a slight underdog right

They obviously aren’t the death star I thought they were, they seem a little worse compared to how good they were last year.

The surprise to me is the uselessness of Nicolas Timberlake who seemed like he’d be a great add as a JAS - they were asking him to wildly scale down his responsibilities at Towson and just make theoretically open shots and he’s been unplayable

1 Like

It’s the should have lost to TCU at home, lost at two of the worst teams in the Big 12, played poorly at home against Cincinnati, etc. They are still very good. McCullar has been incredible too. They just haven’t really been the team people thought.

Yeah, I assumed they’d be “undefeated at home, drop a tough road game here or there” type

Not a “lose to good teams on the road, give a few at home away” team

I mean, the B12 is by far the best league in the game, and I don’t think it’s close, so I acknowledge how often the opportunity to disappoint comes up, but WVU is WVU

Losing at West Virginia is just an appalling loss.

https://x.com/samurai_hoops/status/1751334155760332871?s=46&t=OMxEAgg62bsLI0mWenDZ7w

Hadn’t thought of this but think of how many guys didn’t enter the portal cause of the rule about double transfers? I believe there was lots of talk about Carter and Hopkins transferring with Cooley but they thought they’d have to sit so they stayed a providence

3 Likes

Was rumored as a portal guy all offseason.

https://twitter.com/jacksonfuller16/status/1751377364339327125

Future Hoosier?

My roommate just walked into our living room and saw me eating Pizza and watching Tulsa vs Rice. He was curious why I was watching that game. I had to remind him he lives with a pure sicko

6 Likes

Have we got to the bottom of why Isaiah Barnes didn’t play last year or nah?

2 Likes

LOL

I’m actually genuinely not sure because I feel like the numbers he’s putting up now in his current role would kind of suggest he’d be capable of at least 5-10 minutes every night. Athletically there was never any worry there, but I’m not sure why it didn’t work at Michigan. The other hard part is Tulsa is still garbage (up 141 spots from last year though!) so it’s kind of hard to see how’d he do against better comp. My only guess would be comp level is too much for him, but then again why couldn’t he just take catch and shoot threes and catch lobs for 5-10 mins?

In summary, it’s a mystery and will be the biggest what-if in Juwan era

1 Like

Side note, Pj Haggerty on Tulsa is gonna be a very hot commodity if he ever up-transfers again in the future

Tulsa on the brink of a mega collapse

What an ending!! Unbelievable the refs are gonna overturn the final result of the game after it ended! :rofl:

ESPN app I’d definitely tune in

• Tulsa blows a double digit lead in under a minute
  • whacky inbounds and turnovers lead to a Rice comeback
  • rice forced another turnover down 85-82 and had ball right under basket for a blob
  • rice gets fouled before inbounding
  • rice dude makes a FT and then misses second attempt
  • rice gets rebound puts up a three down 85-83 and it gets blocked out of bounds
  • .1 seconds on clock and rice ball
  • an absolute gorgeous slob gives a rice dude a wide open lob dunk attempt
  • rice dude gets absolutely hammered by Tulsa guy as he goes to layup the ball
  • an absolute easy and clear foul call that… doesn’t get called by the refs!!!
  • refs blow game dead and signal it ended
  • 1 minute goes by when coaches start to shake hands and then the refs start to review the play!!!
  • after un-ending the game and reviewing the last play for 3 minutes they signal game over and no call!!!

This was pure sicko madness and Rice got royally ripped off

5 Likes

Watching the Royal Rumble and it seems less scripted than that.

1 Like

Why did Tulsa and Rice have a B1G officiating crew tonight?

Just noticed that Caleb Love is lighting it up tonight with 30+ points. The butterfly effect with Juwans transfers is wild to think about.

1 Like

College basketball teams don’t need to be deep. You need a good 3rd guard and good 3rd forward and an Austin Davis type to backup your big. So 8 players deep and maybe even only 7 if you can live with playing a 3 guard lineup.

I have never been an HD fan but think of this Michigan team with HD and Love. Two players can be the difference between last place and first.

1 Like

Yeah. Back up center. Back up point. Then ideally one dude who could conceivably play 2-4.