College Basketball 2023-24 Discussion

From what I understand: The key to UConn’s recruiting has been success, evaluation and actual recruiting more than the biggest bag.

Was told that Arkansas had an NIL offer of close to double what McNeeley got at UConn.

Obviously there’s NIL money there, but they are winning recruitments that make sense and not the highest bidder things.

1 Like

Can’t believe Trilly Donovan’s identity has been right under our noses this whole time

Did he post that?

I think under Calhoun they were absolutely a blue blood, and are sort of regarining that form

13 second weekends in 20 years, 17 conference titles of some form, boatload of NBA picks

They were a top 10 team annually for a long time

2 Likes

They were good under Calhoun but still below the usual suspects, from an overall rating standpoint.

Kenpom goes back to 1997 and has Uconn 10th. only 7 top 10s compared to 22 for Duke, 16 for UK, 19 for Kansas, 14, for UNC. Uconn hasn’t been to more F4s then any of those teams either, they just win every time they make it!

1 Like

https://x.com/jonrothstein/status/1785034268432859624?s=46&t=n0pUj667cv_3J7Wi5_-vLA

It’s all framing. They were a top 5 program under Calhoun, not under Ollie, and are again now. Ollie was a large part of teh sample, so yes the entirety doesn’t look good.

1 Like

hopefully he has diplomatic immunity

Exactly. Characters

Obviously “worse than last year” for UConn leaves basically any outcome on the table but

Clingan —> Reed
Spencer —> Mahaney
Karaban —> McNeeley

Seems like a downgrade at each, some very large

And who is the “Newton”?

4 Likes

Yeah I’m conflicted. On the one hand, yeah, if you look at the previous UConn transfer KP pages you’d say “yeah I bet they’ll be good” and these are more of a mixed bag. Like, Newton and Spencer were clearly terrific at their previous stops.

OTOH, Hurley hasn’t missed in a while doing eval. So I dk.

1 Like

feels like almost certainly a pretty big step back year unless they have a couple massive moves left. That team they have now is not a F4 contender

1 Like

I think they are pretty high on the sophomores, fwiw.

I’m not saying he did the wrong thing or something. Pat Spencer doesn’t hit the portal every year, and you don’t find Clingan in the portal really.

yeah I’m sure they are. it’s just clearly a “rebuild” type year unless those are serious DUDES which I suppose is possible

Their HS recruiting has been kind of ridiculously good right? Castle, Clingan, Jackson, Hawkins, Karaban… if I were going to bet on some
Top 75 sophomores breaking out I would probably look there.

Obviously that doesn’t mean year three of a super team or automatically a Final Four contender, but the sophomores plus two top 35 freshmen plus Mahaney. Lot to work with.

1 Like

Would think Mahaney is their PG and then Solo Ball starts too.

Probably have a move or two left in them, especially if Karaban does leave.

Sure and they need all of them to be nba players again if they’re gonna approach what they did last two years
I’m really think the downgrade at center can’t be understated though. Clingan was insane and Sanogo obv quite good himself.

Which makes sense. Seems like Hurley is trying to set a floor w these guys he’s bringing in and letting them raise the ceiling. But if all 3 hit, goodness. Already thought the guy was an eval savant and this will raise that bar.

Jaylin Stewart is a dude that they’re expecting to dominate and go pro after this year