College Basketball 2023-24 Discussion

UConn getting Mahaney AND McNeeley feelsbadman. Them plus Tarris is an interesting what if for us.

1 Like

Eh, Michigan isn’t beating out the best program in the country. Hard to even feel like Mahaney or McNeely were actually realistic options

4 Likes

Mahaney is different because of the personal connection. You’d think Michigan would have had a shot because he is so close with Joyner. The fact Michigan didn’t get a visit or a serious look kind of implies that there is more behind the scenes that was at play. So it makes you wonder what really happened there. We will likely never know.

6 Likes

It’s UCONN not Kentucky. Cmon

Exactly, a real program, not a washed up one

UConn has consecutive national championships. Pre-existing relationship or not, I don’t think there’d be any expectation of Michigan being able to win out for someone that UConn really wants and puts resources into acquiring at this point.

3 Likes

Interesting. I don’t see them in the same light as a Duke, Kentucky.

@goblue8 dream hire has been made by none other than Scott Drew

https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status/1784969000042074600

2 Likes

It’s the hottest debate in the nation

They are a blue blood program.

1 Like

Six titles in the last 25 years to Kentucky’s one says it all (two for UK if you go back an extra year). Kentucky has a bigger and louder fanbase and more resources. UConn belongs in the Duke/UK/UNC/KU conversation. Only thing they’re missing is titles 30+ years ago.

UConn isn’t a blue blood by my definition but they currently have (by far?) the best coaching staff in the country and are coming off B2B titles which has happened one other time in 30 years. So yeah they’re gonna be tough to beat for recruits for the time being

2 Likes

uconn has been the most successful program during my lifetime (born in 1993) and there isn’t a close second.

2 Likes

see I kind of disagree there just cause they really have just been unreal at winning titles but outside of said titles they haven’t even been a top 15 most consistently good program? but yeah the highs have been unreal.

1 Like

I mean this is just silly

that’s 2 top 10 finishes in 11 years. And they won the title in both! 3 championships in 6 tourney appearances in 11 years

but the important thing for now is the staff now is the one that’s recovered from the Ollie debacle and they’re really really good. some precocious AD should hire one of their top assistants

Hot take: Xavier will be better than UConn next season and win the Big East outright

We get to Monday as often as they do. If only we could convert more of those Monday night appearances into titles.

2 Likes

It’s a weird program but I don’t think recruits are deciding whether or not the program is a Blue blood or based on past Kenpom finishes. The logical assumption is that these two recruits were unaffordable, so that’s what I’m assuming.

agree that they’ve been far less consistent than many other programs, but you’re judged on what you do in march, and they have twice as many national titles as anyone else in that timespan.

as impressive as consistent success can be, don’t think anyone’s including wisconsin in this conversation even though they finished in the top four of a tough league a billion times in a row.

1 Like

UConn was also as consistent as any team in the country before Ollie. I think they are definitely the best program in my lifetime (91)

1 Like