College Basketball 2022-23 Discussion

KenPom coming for Verbal Commits!

2 Likes

Mostly the crappy Transfer Portal account tweeting out “viral” stats that get aggregated by people dumping on the portal.

3 Likes

This is an awesome idea.

https://kenpom.com/blog/the-h-u-m-a-n-poll/

6 Likes

Are you going to post your selections after picks lock?

1 Like

That idea seems cool but won’t the average kenpom subscriber have significant gaps in knowledge of certain teams? Like if I’m asked to choose who is better 50 times between 100 total teams and 70% of the teams are like UC Santa Barbara it’s complete guesswork

1 Like

AMA about the unstoppable Gauchos

7 Likes

Have you seen who votes for the AP Top 25?

I think the idea is that taking even a minimal amount of effort to think about two teams without priors getting mixed in is way better.

The amount of group think in preseason stuff (polls, awards, etc) is staggering.

2 Likes

Yeah if they are easy to share I definitely will.

1 Like

I get it - cool concept. But it’s infinitely easier for people to vote on the teams near the top 25 instead of the teams 26-360whatever

My entire life is college basketball pretty much these days and I wouldn’t feel comfortable whatsoever providing an accurate opinion outside of the top 100ish. Just don’t get how that’s gonna work :man_shrugging:

I think the idea is that you would do research and try to win. And (my guess) just looking at last year’s KenPom rankings would go along way. :joy:

Just picking between two teams instead of ranking the teams is also a huge difference.

I think how well it work likely hinges on the size of the sample. Will be interesting.

2 Likes
  1. Wisconsin

Every day. Every time.

6 Likes

It’s an honor to live on the same planet as someone like you! Wisconsin to the bottom forever!

3 Likes
2 Likes

it’s just a fun exercise! one of the findings may well be that the rankings are pretty good 1-40 and end up increasingly useless as you get closer to the average D1 team.

also my understanding is that preseason polls are often predictive in models that know the outcome of a lot of in-season games. would be fun to add the HUMAN poll to that list.

3 Likes

:flushed:

4 Likes

Haha! I got about two deep before I stopped. I want to do well so I’ll be doing some research before continuing.

Yeah, it is nice that you can research and make changes up until October.

1 Like

IMG_9178

1 Like