College Basketball 2022-23 Discussion

FIBA rules is the clear choice here IMO.

1 Like

I like four quarters too.

I’m actually out on advancing the ball on a timeout though.

3 Likes

I hate that rule so much. Fewer but more memorable buzzer beaters >> more frequent but more forgettable buzzer beaters. Duke called timeout before the Laettner shot. Villanova called timeout before the Jenkins shot.

4 Likes

I don’t know what it would change to do 4 quarters…I just know that it is totally weird that men’s college basketball is the only level in the entire sport that doesn’t do it.

I hate the advance the ball after a timeout. That’s a total coach answer since they don’t want to deal with dribbling and want to draw up their out of bounds play. It also explains why you didn’t see “fewer timeouts” on the list even though that should be up there - coaches love them even if we hate them.

Now do this question for the fans!

1 Like

I don’t understand why 4 quarters would make any meaningful change on the game. (Unless they went to bonus by quarter instead of half)

Bingo. Thats the only reason for me. You know those games where the refs get stupid out of halftime and put a team in the bonus five mins in? Quarters helps prevent that affecting the whole game.

6 Likes

How dare you leave out Jordan Poole

2 Likes

Good summary.

1 Like

Found Juwan’s answer.

7 Likes

I like “more physicality” and “less physicality” both being suggestions. If people are upset on both sides of the spectrum, maybe we hit our sweet spot!

The FIBA goaltend is just eliminating the “cylinder” on rebounds, right?

There’s been lots of talk of charge reform (not just in college), I don’t think you should (can?) ban it…perimeter defenders should still be rewarded for beating a dribbler to the spot, etc., but I think people mostly talk about defenders coming under airborne scorers, right? The most convincing thing I see is just to ban that specific sort of charge, or at least expand the circle.

2 Likes

Yeah I’m as anti-charge as they come and the more I’ve thought about it the more I think the charge I find objectionable is always about the secondary defender sliding in. The primary defender getting to that spot first is impressive and obviously very good defense and should he rewarded.

3 Likes

The secondary defender thing is what people are talking about when they say ban the charge.

They also already put a new rule in this year:

Yeah, the secondary defender thing makes sense I think - only your primary defender can draw a charge. Maybe a bit fraught in zone

The problem is when they call a charge on someone that’s committed to picking up their dribble and going into their shot/layup/dunk and THEN someone slides over. You want to penalize someone recklessly launching themselves at the basket no matter what is in front of them. But I think you also want to penalize someone recklessly jumping in front of someone that’s in the middle of their move.

3 Likes

Reckless launching isn’t useful bc it won’t result in made shots

Players do a lot of things that are not optimal basketball, rules can encourage or discourage those things but can’t eliminate them. I think that expanding the circle under the basket in which you cannot draw a charge would help cut down on dangerous charge attempts without giving all claims to space to the offensive players at all times.

Elam ending is the right answer

I’m not sure a 24-second clock would be good for the college game. These guys aren’t as skilled as the pros.

As for the 20-minute halves, I like them just because it’s a unique thing. I think the more you make the college rules like the NBA’s, the more obvious it becomes that it’s a lesser-quality product. I would aim to keep it as different as possible.

2 Likes

jemblue - You make a great point that I had never thought of: The reason a 24-second shot clock (sort of) works for professional basketball is that they have superior skills to actually get a semi-decent shot off in 24 seconds. Can you imagine the chucking that would go on in college basketball with a 24 second clock?

1 Like