College Basketball 2022-23 Discussion

Looking forward to those Tuesday night 15v18 and 16v17 games exclusively on peacock.

4 Likes

Imagine how epic it would be if a 17 seed made a 6 game run through the BTT to reach the Big Dance lol

2 Likes

Sorry, in this scenario everyone in the B1G gets in the tournament automatically

1 Like

*tip-off pushed to 11:17 after a late Payton Sandfort 4 point play extends the Iowa-Nebraska game

6 Likes

Rutgers fans can’t wait to catch their new 5 stars tipping off at 12:10 am in Spokane

Conversely

UCLA fans acting an 8 am tip on Sunday at the RAC

I’m sorry this whole thing is dumb as hell I hate it

4 Likes

We should create 2 divisions -
1 with USC, UCLA, Arizona, ASU, Oregon, Oregon State, Washington, WSU, Stanford, Cal, Utah, Colorado
And 1 with Minnesota, Nebraska, Iowa, Wisconsin, Illinois, NW, Indiana, Purdue, UM, MSU, OSU, PSU, Maryland, Rutgers

We will call one division the Pacific 12 and the other division the Big 10. And the winner of each division for football will play for the conference championship at the Rose Bowl

9 Likes

Mid-West Pacific Conference

The MWPC - Conference of painfully listening to Bill Walton!

1 Like

And I think even more than the distance, the time change is going to be an issue. Your body clock is accustomed to a certain time routine and then you suddenly doing everything 3 hours differently. The NBA is careful to schedule long road trips, but college sports can’t really do that if they want these guys to still go to class. It will be a mess.

Which is why adding additional west coast schools makes a lot of sense IMO. Oregon/Washington make more sense than USC/UCLA at this point.

2 Likes

Yeah, once we opened that door, we couldn’t just stop with the two LA schools. This was inevitable.

5 Likes

Yes this is a major reason why this may be very short lived. I don’t see how you overcome those challenges. Football can get done because it’s once a week but all the other sports making multiple trips across country just screams trouble to me.

I mean money trumps everything but I could see 10ish years from now where all the non-football athletes are wondering “what are we doing here?”. There was a good article in The Athletic about the logistics behind this earlier this week. The solutions they had in there were pretty bonkers for the most part.

1 Like

The Big Ten is really fixated on the idea that if you’re a member, you’ve got to join in all sports but here they should have let that go. Have the West Coast schools join in football and the academic consortium but stay outside for the rest. They do make an exception for hockey already.

If they’re going to stick with the idea that everyone is a full member in everything, the only way to make the travel not too insane is to keep expanding until they basically have two conferences … which seems to be the plan.

i mean, would the pac-12 be okay with letting those schools play basketball and not football, which means they get to have their cake and eat it too? i know ucla is a huge basketball school, but the pac-12 might tell them to kick rocks at that point, right?

Yeah that bridge would probably be burned, although the Pac-12 may not be long for this world anyway. I think they’d probably form some new conference, like a Pacific version of the Big East, or join something else like the WCC.

1 Like

sure, but i feel like USC and oregon are not really interested in going to a two-bid league, even if they bump it up to a three-bid league. on the other hand, i guess the big ten has found itself in the position of making demands, so maybe they’d make that happen by really putting the screws to em

1 Like

Hahahaha go to class, clearly a major concern here

To be honest, I’m thinking back to a plan that I believe Seth at MGoBlog threw out a couple years ago. The B10 and P12 could have joined a “partnership” where they negotiated shared TV contracts, pooled money, scheduling alignment, etc. But it wouldn’t necessarily be one conference. For football it would look something like 1 NC tune up, 2 P12 games (home/away), 9 B10 games. B10 / P12 games on championship weekend. In basketball you partner for some interesting MTEs in the non-con, maybe do a mid-season matchup game, etc. All other sports can leverage the partnership how they see fit…or not at all.

Now we’re going to a forced marriage with a bunch more mediocre teams, travel craziness, too many teams to fit any sort of sane schedule, etc.

Hadn’t the Big 10 and Pac 10 actually agreed to something where every member team played 1 or 2 inter conference games a year, and scrapped it (in football)

Edit: they did!

Starting in 2017, each team from the Pac-12 and the Big Ten will play a team from the other conference in football each season, and the conferences will also begin to play each other extensively in other sports starting as soon as next season.

The Big Ten commissioner, Jim Delany, said the essential idea was to create some of the benefits of conference expansion — greater reach, increased brand recognition and more quality games — without actually expanding.

2 Likes

I, too, used to be a Walton hater but I have seen the light and now love everything that comes out of that crazy man’s mouth.

4 Likes

Honestly he just loves what he does so respect

7 Likes