College Basketball 2022-23 Discussion

“paul mulcahy wants to leave the big ten” lol

(yes i know it’ll happen after he leaves)

(probably)

Err will it? The Pac-12 contract is expiring right now. There is no 2024 for them.

The contract is expiring but that doesn’t mean there’s going to be a new football schedule in three weeks. Everything starts in 2024-25.

Yes, I said 2024. I don’t mean this upcoming season. I assume Mulcahy has infinite Covid eligibility like everyone else. He’s not playing pro anywhere

1 Like

I was about to make a (sort of) saracastic comment that the next logical step for college sports to to trash eligibility limits

1 Like

Just realized this means we’re going to be subjected to Washington basketball. Good gravy.

2 Likes

I’m kind of into the idea of doing 6 to play 5, I think? Hockey basically does this now anyway w the prep school stuff and it’s kind of silly that they’re getting older just so they can play at Quinnipiac as a 25 yr old senior.

Do you have any guess as to what basketball scheduling might look like in this world? With 17 (or maybe 19) conference opponents it seems like the model would have to be play every team once and only once or not play certain teams in a given year. I hate the idea of not having the home and home with MSU each year.

It’s a good question and it basically means the death of whatever a regular season title was IMO. Which is too bad.

I feel like regional divisions makes a lot more sense at this point. You play the teams in your division twice and then have some crossovers.

2 Likes

Big Ten East
Big Ten Midwest
Big Ten West

1 Like

This seems about right

That was my feeling too, but you put it in writing a lot better than I could’ve.

1 Like

It really seems like it makes more sense to just abolish conferences for football, make the 35-40 teams that actually participate in that arms race play a 12 game schedule against each other in a “super league” if you will

and leave the rest of the sports alone

but of course the conference suits won’t do that

Like, college football has the aforementioned 35-40 teams that actually try to compete nationally

and those 35-40 teams, unless they’re in the SEC, play like 3-4 relevant games, the rest are just filler

let them play a real schedule, and keep hoops, baseball/softball and everything else play a schedule that makes sense in their “real” conference

Like literally nobody wants to fly from Des Moines to Eugene for a 7:30 PM PT tip on a Tuesday, or the inverse of that. Much more feasible in football for a multitude of reasons. Rutgers/Maryland will be taking 6 hour flights

4 Likes

Once the B1G winds up with 24 teams (I’ve heard rumors of Cal & Stanford coming along, and ND has to have a Come to Jesus moment eventually. Throw in a Kansas, UNC, or some Florida or Texas school), 4 divisions of 6 would be fine, with possibly a 4-team conference tournament.

1 Like

So obviously the NCAA tournament will reduce by 1 slot with the elimination of the PAC 12 autobid, right? RIGHT?

2 Likes

An 18 team conference tournament in March will be absolutely ridiculous and I’ll love every minute of it!

3 Likes

Dunno about you but I am super excited for an 11pm est tip time to watch the Michigan v Washington game

2 Likes

I doubt you will see the B1G tourney much in Indiana or Chicago. More likely LA and Las Vegas

1 Like

Oh, “wonderful”.

What about 1 conference with 6 divisions organized geographically

2 Likes