College Basketball 2022-23 Discussion

Georgetown had 7 transfers in this year

Cooley has killed the portal better than most and done it mostly for multi year players

I’m not sure why people act like it’s a dirty trick

3 Likes

Great fit for him!

A lot of schools take more transfer credits than Michigan does.

Michigan is gonna need to use it too.

$6 million! Yowza!

3 Likes

That ties him with Bill Self for the highest paid coach! That’s either going to set the market moving forward or just be a silly Tucker/Fisher contract

$2 million for every tournament win he’s had

6 Likes

Wild one.

3 Likes

A nice warm retirement for Brey

5 Likes

I’m thinking Cooley to GT, Pitino to SJU, Hurley to PC

3 Likes

Micah to ND? I like the Hurley to PC twist.

1 Like

Big East arms race getting real

That’s fun

3 Likes

Zillow stalking being the new private jet tracking is wild

10 Likes
1 Like

Circa about 2017/18, I was in the Orlando area for a couple of ten day periods associated with some classes I was taking/helping deliver. In the early mornings, I would get up and walk to a local crossfit gym for classes before the day started.

In those classes, I remember meeting and taking Crossfit classes with Mike Brey’s brother, who was in the same age group (50’s or so.) I was down there in March, so we were easily able to connect about college basketball and UM/ND hoops, which was fun.

I’m wondering if having family in the general region might also be part of the attraction of Mike Brey heading down to central Florida…

3 Likes

$6M a year for a guy with a 3-7 tourney record, oof.

2 Likes

Georgetowns tournament record is 2-2 in the past decade.

I have Cooley’s record at 2-7 in the tournament at Providence, and he was seeded to win the frst round game twice in those six appearances. It seems totally ok.

He’s made the tournament 7 times in 12 years there, and they were 0-1 in the tournament in the 12 seasons before him.

He’s also shown an aptitude to recruiting in the world of the portal, and Georgetown is desperate.

I think this makes sense.

This board has a weird hatred of Cooley, often saying his results are typical for the school.

He’s made 7 tournaments in 12 years.
Keno Davis made 0 in 3.
Tim Welsh made 1 in 11 years (0-1 in the tournament)
Pete Gillen made 1 in 4 years (2-1 in the tournament)
Rick Barnes made 3 in 6 years (0-3 in the tournament)
Rick Pitino made 1 in 2 years (2-1 in the tournament)

He has made more tournaments in 12 years than the school had in the prior 26 years.

3 Likes

Cooley’s done so much better in the portal era. He was at replacement level for a Providence coach, if you also consider conference titles, until the last few years.

I look back at what Cooley had accomplished at Providence when Beilein had just left, and I still wouldn’t have been impressed. At the time. That looked to me like Warde not running a national search but going by what he was familiar with in his old job.

Today, well, a different story. Cooley or any other portal magician is not the right fit at a school with an admissions office like ours. But for schools that aren’t that way, I think Cooley is a much better choice than he was 4 years ago.

7 Likes

I think people are still feeling the annoyance from his agent using the Michigan job to get a new contract, although that’s of course an agent’s job. i also remember being specifically annoyed with how credulous the providence media seemed at that time around that pursuit, but, not his fault if people just believe whatever an agent feeds them.

on further thought, I think you’re right that his portal recruiting has gotten more replicable - for a few years, I figured he was just kind of playing a riskier game than everyone else, and happened to have it hit a few years in a row. but it certainly seems no more risky than high school recruiting now.

4 Likes

I outlined this back when we had the initial Cooley conversations, but his overall KP results are average / a little above average for Providence historically. Maybe their good season last year adjusted that a bit, but this year was also very normal Providence.

The difference is that Providence being 40 something in KenPom in the old Big East with 15-17 teams meant they were finishing below .500 in conference most of the time and missing the tournament.

Conference realignment has just made it way easier to be the Providence coach, because you can perform the same metrics wise, have a .500ish record or slightly above and safely make the tourney now.

2 Likes

Does georgetown admissions not pull the same bs ours does?

They had 7 incoming transfers last year.

2 Likes