Caris LeVert out for the year

Just saw what Jeff Goodman reported that Caris is now out for the year. Doesn’t bode well for the team this year.

Michigan announces Caris LeVert is out for rest of the season due to foot injury. Will have surgery this week.

— Jeff Goodman (@GoodmanESPN) January 18, 2015

Looks like Dylan already ran this story as well.

And now MattD is going to win our conference wins bet as if either one of us were counting on us losing our best player. Go figure.

Same foot as last year. This team was a long shot to make the tourney with Caris, now it’s a foregone conclusion they won’t make it? Knew when he slapped the floor it wasn’t gonna be good. Where in the world do we go for scoring now? Not a creator on the floor. Gonna be real interesting to see how the NBA plans pan out now.

Sad. Caris is one of my favorite players ever. Kid’s got a big heart.

And now MattD is going to win our conference wins bet as if either one of us were counting on us losing our best player. Go figure.

C’mon man…should be the last thing on your mind right now.

Oh, spare me the holier than thou crap. What should be on my mind?

Honestly, I don’t think you would’ve won the bet with, or without Caris. This team was wining by the skin of its teeth against some the worst teams in the conference, at home. Perhaps even more troubling, there are no signs of improvement.

Still have to play the games out though, this could actually end up being a good thing in the development of our younger players.

Perhaps the silver lining in all this is that Caris returns for his senior campaign. I wasn’t convinced Caris was a first round pick before the injury, and I don’t think this will help his draft status.

Get well Caris

With the dearth of quality guards in the NBA and this draft class in particular, there is no way a guy with Levert’s measurables, defensive potential, and offensive skillset does not go in the first round.

He’s been injured twice now, same foot. Seems risky to come back for 30+ games and potentially lose out on being paid with another setback. Obviously he could get hurt in the NBA too, but he’d at least have some fall back security, $$. Everyone has a shelf life, better not let it expire. Wonder what kind of injury insurance policy he has?

With the dearth of quality guards in the NBA and this draft class in particular, there is no way a guy with Levert's measurables, defensive potential, and offensive skillset does not go in the first round.

Measurables, defensive potential, skillset - im sorry but none of these attributes scream first round pick. Caris is a legit 6’6, but lacking in both size and strength. Defensive potential - Caris has been average/above average in terms of jumping passing lanes, but he’s an average at best on ball defender in college and nothing about his defense would indicate he will be a good defender in the NBA. He often gets lost on screens and it will be very difficult for him to defend 2 guards at the next level considering his lack of strength. Skillset - honestly the only thing Caris does above average is catch and shoot. In all other aspects, he’s either average or below average in an NBA setting.

He's been injured twice now, same foot. Seems risky to come back for 30+ games and potentially lose out on being paid with another setback. Obviously he could get hurt in the NBA too, but he'd at least have some fall back security, $$. Everyone has a shelf life, better not let it expire. Wonder what kind of injury insurance policy he has?

No doubt if he’s projected as a first round pick he should declare. I just question whether that will hold true.

The NBA drafts on potential and age. Caris is still young for his class and developing. Look at Mitch and the back injury. I think Caris still goes pro and still gets drafted

The NBA drafts on potential and age. Caris is still young for his class and developing. Look at Mitch and the back injury. I think Caris still goes pro and still gets drafted

I certainly think he will get drafted, no questioning that. But at this point, I think there are many more questions as to how Caris’ game translates to the NBA vs the same time last year, and I do think his status is slipping by the day. Could be wrong though, we’ll see

I think they need to encourage him to come back for next year, especially if Brown commits and he has more than one creator on the floor.

I think they need to encourage him to come back for next year, especially if Brown commits and he has more than one creator on the floor.

Thing is that Caris is actually MUCH better with another creator on the floor with him.

Don’t know about the other sites, but. Caris is down to #29 on the ESPN big board.

I hate to see injuries happen to any player. Hopefully he has a successful surgery and full recovery. I can only imagine how crushing this is to Caris…

I certainly think he will get drafted, no questioning that. But at this point, I think there are many more questions as to how Caris’ game translates to the NBA vs the same time last year, and I do think his status is slipping by the day. Could be wrong though, we’ll see

I’m with you in questioning how well Caris will fit in the NBA. I just think that he decided last year that he was going pro this year when he put his name in for evaluation and I think the injury actually makes it more likely he will go pro. He may not even get a first round grade but that didn’t stop Glenn, Manny or Darius.

Draft Express has Caris slotted #14 now, up one spot. Jonathan Givony says “LeVert is one of the best guards in the draft any way you slice it. He is super versatile. He is DEFINATELY a first round pick.” Unless injury reveals some long term complications, we have seen the last game Caris will play in a UM uniform.