BTN All-Decade Team

Add oldepo from indiana

I was a huge Carsen Edwards fan and I canā€™t believe heā€™s on this team, let alone second team. The one year he was an all-conference player, he shot 39% from the floor and averaged more turnovers than assists. Heā€™s in my top 5 most exciting players to watch but I wouldnā€™t put him top 20 of best players in the last decade.

3 Likes

Really no argument for him over Stauskus. He has one extra year, but winning CPOY should easily outweigh that.

1 Like

Jared Sullinger fourth guy on list.

He has the NCAA tournament revisionist history on his side.

I remember while he was going off against UVA, I had a friend ask me how he didnā€™t win B1G POY because thereā€™s no way anyone could have been better. I just said look at his stats. He went through a massive shooting slump through most of the B1G. I donā€™t think his play style actively hurt Purdue like some tried to imply at the time, since he was the only guy that chould create anything (as we learned watching them this past season). But Winston was just the better player overall is what I had to say.

Although I do have to say Carsen had two All-B1G seasons. His sophomore year he was 1st Team and won the Jerry West award for top SG, and made some AA teams as well. That is the argument for why he would be above Stauskas.

Stauskas gets penalized for having only one really good year while also not getting the BOTD as a One and Done. Iā€™m curious if he will be the only CPOY left off.

3 Likes

Weird, I totally missed him being all-conference his sophomore year. Looking back now his numbers are a lot better than I remembered that year.

The most impressive thing in Edwardsā€™ favor to me is that Purdue was 45-11 in conference play in his three years there, with one outright conference title and one shared. But Painter and the rest of those teams (Swanigan, Haas, V. Edwards, Mathias) had a huge hand in those too.

Stauskas in his sophomore year was about the closest I have seen to unstoppable in college basketball. Juggernaut. I find it strange he might not make one of the 3 teams. Oh well.

4 Likes

The guys Stauskas should absolutely be ahead of are Craft and Russell.

Russel had one really good year, like Stauskas. But his team was not near as good as Nikā€™s. And he only had one year.

The issue is that the argument to put Craft ahead of Stauskas should give Stauskas the advantage over Russell if applied to them as well. But obviously this was done by 20 whatever people, who most likely were not at all logically consistent and many of them are probably dopes.

4 Likes

itā€™s just silly to leave a CPOY off the list (who was second team All-American no less). Even sillier when you note his team accomplishments - NCAA finals appearance and Elite 8 appearance in a year where Michigan won the conference outright by 3 games largely on the back of Stauskas. There seems to be a bit of a Buckeye bias on these teams.

1 Like

Winston got the last spot for second team. So looks just one Wolverine Burke first team no question.

I mean Jordan Murphy got put on this list. He never would have even come across my mind as someone that should be considered at all.

7 Likes

Jordan Murphy is ridiculous. He played 4 years and was never even First Team All Conference and he had no team accomplishments either. Best 15 of the decade when he was never even top 5 in a given year?? Get out of here.

5 Likes

So my guess is the following for tomorrow:
Burke
Garza
Valentine
Kaminsky
Green

1 Like

Donā€™t think Garza deserves first team.

3 Likes

Same. Donā€™t see Garza making it.

Iā€™m guessing the Player of the Decade isnā€™t on the first team, right?

Give me Melo Trimble, Gary Harris, Stauskas, KBD and whichever of Luka/Zeller isnā€™t on the first team over the 2nd and 3rd teams so far in a 7-game series.

3 Likes