Bracketology Open Thread

Cuse actually has a good resume. It’s the monmouth st Mary’s and Bonnie’s of the world I don’t get. also top 100 losses is deceiving. Our losses are on the top half of that hundred. Lots of really good teams. If we played more teams in the 70s and 80s we would have won a lot more. I mean
Smu
Xavier
Mich at
Indiana
Maryland
Purdue
Iowa twice
I’d have to check but those eight losses all have to be top 25 teams. So top fifty/100 losses are different when their all top 20 teams. Hell give us some games in the forties and I bet we win more. Numbers are deceiving here

Syracuse has lost 5 of 6 with a bad loss to Florida state. Us playing lazy against Iowa is coming back to haunt us if we don’t beat Purdue. No reason we didn’t win that game.

It’s important even if we lose today to make this game go right down to the end. Eye test

2 Likes

Yep. Get blown out and yesterday becomes a fluke.

Let’s play with rpi numbers.

Villanova is a projected 1 seed:
losses outside top 73: 0
wins inside of the top 26: 1

Oregon is a projected 2 seed:
losses outside of top 73: 3
wins inside the top 26: 5

Xavier is a projected 3 seed:
losses outside of the top 73: 2
wins inside the top 26: 2

Dayton is a projected 4 seed:
losses outside of the top 73: 2
wins inside of the top 26: 1

Michigan is projected out:
losses outside of the top 73: 0
wins inside of the top 26: 4

1 Like

I just want to point out something about the eye test. I’m well aware it’s just one game but our offense looked awesome. We were getting the best looks of our life and it didn’t look like a struggle. Mo Wagner is a spark and what he did was huge. I hope the bring that into the game vs Purdue.

Monmouth has 2 good wins and 4 top 100. Two of their top 100 wins are to teams ranked in the 90’s. The thing is that there best win still isn’t as good as our forth best win. There 4 best are Notre Dame USC UCLA and Iona. They also lost to Canisius Manhattan and Army. I still can’t see how they make it in.

I don’t think it’s a lock Michigan is in the field yet, I think they would be in a possible play in game.It’s up to your perspective if making a play in game is making the NCAA Tournament.Obviously if they won that game they would be but if they lost… If you look at crashing the dance and the tournament cards for these teams Michigan looks to still be behind some teams.You can’t ignore how much playing horrible teams with RPI in the 300s can affect a resume.

The bright side about a play-in game is that you get a winnable match-up and therefore an extra tournament game! On the other hand, the real tournament starts Thursday.

We are comfortably in with a competitive game today win or lose IMO. Get ran off the floor and we will be biting our nails tomorrow night.

There was an academic article a few years ago that found substantial evidence of bias towards major conference teams in tournament selection. We saw this in action with UCLA getting in last year. So I’m not too worried about getting in, regardless of what Lunardi says (BTW I think Lunardi’s day job is at St. Joe’s, so he may have a mid-major bias that isn’t representative of the committee).

Wonder what our seed ceiling would be if we beat MSU and won the BTT!

Lucky for us that SMU and Louisville are ineligible for consideration.

If they were eligible, we’re not debating Michigan résumé vs Monmouth’s.

I’m scared that blow out puts us on the bubble hard Gsin. I say we’re fifty fifty now. Lots of mid major support anti big conference back lash right now. Hopefully the committee doesn’t buy in . I thought even a competitive loss would make us a lock. Now the we get blown out in losses narrative is in full force/ fresh on committees mind. Not a good look. We won two games but we were not overly impressive imo. Northwestern game was ugly and we got a lot of help late. Hopefully they didn’t see to much of that. Duncan’s travel ect. Even in our win yesterday wasn’t pretty nor did we look great imo. Luckily sloppy play was negated by clutch shooting/ hard work and defense

I mean I really really wish uconnmisded that prayer. What a load of crap. Cincy is so dumb/ unlucky. They may have knocked us out with that. Now should we hope uvonn takes the automatic, no? I think that’s best for us now. They are in over us I think either way. Might as well knock out temple or memphis

Also I’m really liking oregons chances at final four. Normally I don’t pick pac 23 teams to make runs besides the occasional ucla or zona dynasty but oregons talent is elite. Be very wAry of the ducks in the right situation. Going to be an unpredictable year. I counted twenty teams that could go final four or win it. Literally

Yeah, I’m leaning towards us missing it. We’re barely in per Bracket Matrix (before we lost) and there is a lot of media hype around the mid major bubbles.

Yes I’m scared. Had we played tight I would have felt great. Now I’m worried they aren’t going to think this through. Like I said before our top fifty losses are more top twenty losses. We were playing upper echelon competition. And our wins were top 25 not 25-50 huge difference imo

We will all find out tomorrow

Seton Hall and Villanova was a damn entertaining basketball game and a solid reminder to all to never take Villanova past the first weekend! Between them and Syracuse, I am not sure who has obliterated my bracket more frequently. I have a soft spot for Syracuse as I won a lot of cash in bracket pools picking them to win in every bracket pool I entered during the Melo run. They damn sure have busted me a lot since then though

2 Likes

That’s what you get thinking Jimmy B can keep getting it done! All those athletes sit in a 2-3. SMH.

Nova should not be a 1! And if they are whoever is a 2 should be begging to go in their bracket even if they are from out west! I felt Zona last year should of traveled East and they would of made it to the final four instead of State