Boston College fires Jim Christian / Howard Eisley a candidate

Howard Eisley’s alma mater opens up…

6 Likes

If he ends up leaving after the season it’ll suck for us. But good for Eisley if he gets the shot to lead his alma mater, and I have full faith that Juwan will make a great hire to fill his (or any other assistant’s) shoes.

8 Likes
2 Likes

Yeah, I’d expect this to happen. Good for him.

8 Likes

This feels like the reason he took the Michigan assistant job. I hope he gets the job.

14 Likes

Healthy organizations lose people to better opportunities – in this case a head coaching gig. Unhealthy organizations lose people to worse or equal opportunities. I know people always panic when an assistant leaves, but it is good for the assistant and it is good to have a head coach who will push the assistant to take the opportunity.

Juwan’s basketball rolodex is pretty full. He’ll have no problem finding someone else who he trusts on the bench, IMO.

31 Likes

Is it accurate to call Eisley Michigan’s offensive coordinator? I feel like I’ve heard that before on boards but of course basketball doesn’t use titles like that officially

2 Likes

My hope is that Juwan isn’t replacing three assistants in one offseason. It’s fine and healthy and desirable to have guys moving on up, but not all at once.

4 Likes

Eisley coaches the guards and I think he’s more involved with offense. Saddi coaches the wings and is more involved with defense. Howard has rebuffed questions that referred to Saddi as a “defensive coordinator” in the past, so I wouldn’t really use that term.

3 Likes

True but we are getting massive roster turnover next year either way so it’s mostly about Juwan’s comfort level

Last time Michigan had to replace multiple assistants in a season it … went to the Final Four the next year. :man_shrugging:

12 Likes

OK, off you go then, the lot of you…

7 Likes

Just messing with you. I’m not sure how the staff will play out moving forward but I’ll be curious to see how Howard hires when he has to make replacements: is he going after NBA guys? college guys? Someone else?

2 Likes

I have no basis in this statement, but if Eisley and Washington end up moving on this off-season, I feel like Martelli can be retained. At this point I assume Martelli is only leaving to retire, so if he’s considering retiring after this year, I feel like Juwan could convince him to stick around an extra year if one/both of the other assistants leave.

And another familiar name

7 Likes

Beilein is a pretty good fit actually

3 Likes

Nope. Fully convinced. Fire the ones who won’t quit. :grin:

Martelli might want a sunset post. It was a while ago already but IIRC last offseason he said he loves it here but that he loves the East Coast more and would be open to it.

I’m cool with JB getting back into coaching but it has to be outside the B1G! I can’t wrap my head around rooting against him multiple times a season!

14 Likes

Roman Catholic school too, which I know he’d like. If this keeps him out of the Big Ten I’m all for it lol

9 Likes