Big Ten Roster Movement (Summer 2016)

Doesn’t Spike’s release restrict him from signing with anyone that is on UM’s schedule for the next two years?

That often works out well for the player. The B1G restriction plus the “nobody on our schedule” thing are just little speed bumps. But of course these are normally overcome. Just hope it doesn’t end up looking bad for us. I would think he’d give Butler a pretty hard look.

1 Like

(Source Borzello): Cane Broome is down to Cincy, Creighton, NCState, Seton Hall

Close to home.
Probably not needed at full PG duties - just split with PG.
Purdue likes shooters to pair with their bigs.

Probably a good fit for both IMO

Have pj Thompson and carsen Edwards coming in. Not a great fir

That’s why it is a great fit. Spike has performed better than PJ Thompson in the past, so if he’s healthy, he’s an upgrade. If Thompson & Edwards are an upgrade over Spike, not a big deal because he’s only there a year. Low risk move for Purdue if they can get him IMO

Cane didn’t even consider us? Wow

Eh, could be a situation where we decided we weren’t interested as well.

But to be honest, we are not an attractive destination for someone who can only guard the 1.

Interesting piece here opposing JB’s transfer restrictions

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/michigan-limiting-spike-albrecht-s-transfer-options-224019956-ncaab.html

I would just like to know how it is hypocritical of Michigan to put a restriction on Spike and attempted to with Max. Just because the football program is fine with it, doesn’t mean the basketball program is. Jim Harbaugh and John Beilien are two different people.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. If the article referenced JB reaching out to grad transfers, it would make a lot more sense

1 Like

Thanks for the link to the article. The restriction of Spike’s eligibility to non big ten schools seems totally unethical to me. How in the world can anyone possibly rationalize the restriction? Who care’s if you don’t want to see Spike playing for State? Too bad.

4 Likes

I doubt it was Broome that decided against coming to UM.

It’s that article that is hypocritical. Pat Forde uses Spike, doesn’t get a single quote from him, twists some quotes from his dad, and makes Spike’s last few weeks in Ann Arbor just a little less fun. Spike is clearly not upset, and here’s what Chuck said to the Free Press: “I don’t feel bad, we feel grateful. Coach Beilein gave Spike an opportunity (in recruiting) at a time when nobody was giving Spike an opportunity, especially at that level.” Sure, it’s Forde that’s looking out for Spike’s best interests. Weak sauce.

6 Likes

Are transfer restrictions really that uncommon? I thought they were pretty common.

UMHoopsFan, I don’t think it was well written article and I do agree that the charge of hypocrisy seems odd because JB and Harbaugh are different people, but, out of curiosity, which of Chuck Albrecht’s quote do you think Forde twisted? The crux of the matter revolves around the question of whether or not restricting Spike to non big ten school’s is fair. Chuck Albrecht said “I don’t think it is really fair.” How is that not crystal clear?

I think the restrictions are common. It does not matter. And I understand JB’s slippery slope argument. It is the interest of the leagues and ultimately the players to create stability by not allowing players to just jump from team to team. However, Spike and Max were different situations because there was not room for them and Max would have preferred to stay and I assume Spike feels the same way, so why the restriction?

You could have stopped at “the restrictions are common”.

The rest is just noise.

Whether or not it is common is irrelevant to whether or not a restriction is fair in the case of Spike and Max. Uncommon? Common? Who care’s? Why bother ask?

The restriction is also a NCAA rule.