Big Ten Open Thread: Week of 1/6/13

Like I said, no Williams and MSU will roll

Wow

lol next year OSU and MSU won’t matter.

MSU MIGHT be a tourney team next year if all goes their way

That’s assuming Harris leaves

That's assuming Harris leaves

Even if he doesn’t, Wisconsin and UofM clearly the class with Illinois,Indiana, OSU in that next tier.

Depends on our potential departures

Depends on our potential departures

Even if Mitch and GR3 leave. Nik isn’t going anywhere.

Don’t know about that, stauskas is currently sitting late 1st/early 2nd on more than 1 mock draft. If his play continues at this rate, he could play himself into the 1st rd

Don't know about that, stauskas is currently sitting late 1st/early 2nd on more than 1 mock draft. If his play continues at this rate, he could play himself into the 1st rd

You show me a mock where he is a first rounder this year? He isn’t going to move up because this is the deepest draft and he lacks the measurables. I also suspect he will fall to Earth during these two brutal stretches we have coming up.

ESPN has Nik projected as a late 1st rd pick and #39 on Chad Ford’s top 100.

Draft Express has Nik projected as the #32 pick

Draft Net has Nik #58 in the top 100 (up 17 spots from previous update)

Point is, Nik is trending upward, if his strong play continues, he will play himself into the 1st round.

“ManualRam” is a pretty well respected poster on Realgm and one of the better scouts of talent since I’ve been lurking and reading mocks for years. Here is some of his thoughts on UofM prospects.

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1295526

The fact that he makes this statement “i think whether he declares this yr or next, he’d still be projected the same”, would probably give support to the notion that Nik may bolt after this year.

The fact that he makes this statement "i think whether he declares this yr or next, he'd still be projected the same", would probably give support to the notion that Nik may bolt after this year.

Yeah that is a bit troubling but I think we have high character guys who won’t bolt in that situation and Nik is a competitor so he might think he has a higher ceiling than what most would think. OR maybe I’m just optimistic and selfish.

I’ll say this - I’m a big proponent of athleticism/measurables for the NBA - but Trey Burke didn’t necessarily grade out well in that regard, but you know what, the guy proved he could play on game day…same thing with Nik.

Ehhh Trey is definitely more athletic than Nik.

I think Nik has to go to a system like San Antonio to flourish. If not, he will have a great career in Europe. Not a bad thing.

If he decides to leave after this year, I really hope Exum considers coming here. It would probably mean McGary is gone too so we’d have to find a late spring bigman, too.

Relative to position, I don’t think Trey is more athletic than Nik. Trey is pretty substandard in terms of lateral movement for the NBA.

Let me add this - if Kyle Singler can be an above average bench player in the NBA, I have no doubt that Nik can make a decent NBA career in some capacity.

You think Kyle Singler is an above average bench player? He can hustle no doubt but he doesn’t see ONE quality minute on a winning team.

8ppg/3reb on 23 minutes, 48% FG, 37% 3 - I’ll take that.

Be careful when accounting for quality/non quality team. Is Kyrie Irving playing minutes on a winning team?

Have to evaluate the player exclusive of team performance, no doubt there is some correlation, but unless we’re talking LBJ, Kobe, KD, CP3 one player can’t impact a team THAT much.

:open_mouth: @ what Wisconsin is going to Illinois right now