Big Ten Discussion

Cassius Winston. Plus the emergence of Xavier Tillman and two seniors who are pretty tough kids. But yeah, really amazing.

I hate to admit this, but I think Izzo deserves the COY over Painter. To win the championship with all that was lost from last yearā€™s team plus injuries was truly amazing. Now, please excuse me while I go take a shower.

3 Likes

I still think itā€™s Painter because he took a 10-11 conference win team and won the title. Izzo took a 13-14 win team and won the title. I think MSU is much better than Purdue, but they also have more to work with IMO, even with the injuries. But I donā€™t think I would be surprised or disappointed if Izzo did win it.

1 Like

Gotta be painter.

Izzo deserves credit, though itā€™s also a testament to how dominant Winston has been. He keeps delivering monster performances. Iā€™ve been expecting him to come down to Earth but it hasnā€™t happened.

Awards announced in a couple hours ā€“ what do you all think?

I pretty much agree with all that. I would put Morgan on 1st team over Edwards (I guess I tried to pay more attention to positions), but if I had to move a guy from my 2nd team to 1st it would probably be Edwards.

Again, because I cared about positions, and and you have 3 centers on your all-defense team, McQuaid and Reaves deserve a look for All-Defense.

Good call on McQuaid.

My only thing is that Wisconsin finished with a better in-conference defense than us, so having 3 Wolverines to 1 Badger seems off. But am I gonna put Davidson on over Simpson? Nope. Seems like Reuvers and Iverson are their big guys after Happ. I feel like Reuvers has it easy because his size can swallow most 4ā€™s. I have a very high opinion of Matthews formed from watching 30 gamesā€¦maybe Iā€™d have the same of Iverson if I watched him more?

Reuvers deserves some mention, too.

1 Like

If X is the type that needs it, hopefully this fills up his motivation bucket for the weeks ahead.

Feel like his motivation bucket might have been overflowing on Saturday.

3 Likes

And Reaves gets DPOY while Mathews gets nothing, That is a joke!

2 Likes

Almost all coaches (really their support staff) and media just look at the counting stats ā€“ steals and blocks. Thatā€™s how the all-defense team is selected.

Fernando being on the team is the most egregious error, in my opinion.

Thatā€™s all fine and good but it doesnā€™t make it any less sad. Not that Charles needs extra motivation but I hope heā€™s healthy, and I hope he tears it up in Chicago!

2 Likes

Lamar Stevens had a true shooting percentage under 50%.

Heā€™s not only ā€œnot first team all big tenā€, heā€™s not very good.

At least Murphy puts the ball in the basket at a decent rate

1 Like

I was looking up some stats while putting together who I thought should win these awardsā€¦ Xavier Tillmanā€™s defensive numbers are unreal. Per bballreference, he is 1st in the Big Ten in defensive win shares and 5th in the entire country. Just one stat, but pretty strong. His numbers across other statistical sites are similarly impressive.

1 Like

I would imagine his 23 minutes a game was a severe limiting factor.