Big Ten Discussion

Those 5 road games will tell the story. Shoot even Rutgers is playing better lately.

Whatever happens between Indiana/Purdue I just hope itā€™s close and comes down to the end. Sunday is a quick turnaround for Indiana after a rivalry game.

One of THE WORST calls I have ever seen at the finish of this Purdue/IU game. Bryant and Swanigan both had 4 fouls, Bryant made a move and Swanigan semi-floppedā€¦your prototypical 50/50 charge/block situationā€¦officials huddle for 5 minutes and decide to call a DOUBLE FOUL, fouling out the 2 best players on the floor with a minute left. Nonsense

1 Like

Biggest cop-out. FWIW, I thought it was obviously an offensive foul; blatant dip of the shoulder by Bryant.

2 Likes

Nebraska and Wisconsin going down to the wire in Lincoln (BTN).

Only saw the last few minutes.

Incredibly, one other team thatā€™s not dead yet tourney-wise is Illinois.

Look at their sked: PSU, @Iowa, NU, @Neb, MSU, @RU. Their RPI is (somehow) 53, so itā€™s not like theyā€™re out of the picture in that regard.

Unforced turnovers and that banked 3 by Koenig really kept Wisconsin in it. Could have easily been a 10+ point win for Nebraska. Fun game to watch thoughā€¦Nebraskaā€™s crowd really brings it, and so does Ethan Happ on the defensive side in crunch time.

Spike Albrecht is the only Purdue player with an NCAA Tournament win.

1 Like

I loved when Dakich said heā€™s a 37 year old 5th year senior haha That Louisville game seems like ages ago.

Hey everyoneā€¦not sure this belongs hereā€¦but is something Iā€™d appreciate your care and concern forā€¦JaQuan Lyle will not play at Maryland tomorrowā€¦his 19 year old sister had a baby a few days ago, is not doing well and has taken a turn for the worst. JaQuan is staying home to be with family.

Also, Keita Bates-Diopā€™s 16 year old brother, Kai, collapsed at his high school hoops practice Thursday with a heart attack. Kai is apparently alert and speaking. So thatā€™s a good sign. Keita has flown home to be there with him.

Sports take a back seat when events like these take place.

Story - http://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-basketball/2017/02/80061/its-been-a-rough-24-hours-for-our-program-two-ohio-state-players-dealing-with-family-emergencies-as-team-preps-for

Wow talk about some adversity for a team to go throughā€¦prayers out to JaQuan and Keita and their families. Stories like this help put basketball-related concerns into perspective. I might just find myself rooting for OSU this week, Iā€™m sure a win would mean alot

1 Like

Thatā€™s all very terrible to hear. Itā€™s sobering, remembering that these kidsā€™ lives extend so much further than the 2 hours, twice a week, they spend on TV. Best wishes to JaQuan and Keita, and their families.

1 Like

My first year coaching high school we had 6 players (out of 20 or so) lose their grandpas during the season. It was really heartbreaking but puts things into perspective and draws families closer. I hope those fellas can do the same with their support system and with their teammates.

1 Like

Thank you for your commentsā€¦your prayers are appreciated greatlyā€¦

Iā€™m thankful that you shared your thoughtsā€¦

Thatā€™s quite a storyā€¦canā€™t imagine your position in that situationā€¦
Your second sentence is quite nice = hopeā€¦Thanks for thatā€¦

Minnesota is like Maverick near the end of Top Gun: Theyā€™ve pulled out of the nose dive and are back in business. 6-6 with several winnable home games left, plus a sterling RPI (22).

1 Like

I really canā€™t get over some of our losses this year. The one positive is minus ucla and the Michigan state game plus Illinois we havenā€™t been blown out all year. Even then we were in those in the second half. That is good yet frustrating too.

Watching Ohio st and Maryland I really canā€™t believe we loss to either. Particularly Ohio state. The state game was so frustrating because all we had to do was not let them grab every o rebound and we win. Thereā€™s no way we should have ever have blown that game.

Then Illinois, Iowa, and Maryland and ucla literally hit ever shot against us. Bad d aside I donā€™t think any of those teams could replicate those shooting performances. Really frustrating I donā€™t think weā€™d lose to anyone but ucla again. I think we beat Maryland at home. I think weā€™d abuse Iowa and we repaid Illinois. Still though if we just finish off Iowa, v tech and state were looking pretty good. 18-7 would be pretty good. I think weā€™d be looking at a 7 seed.

I think Maryland is going to be really really really good next year. Should bring back everyone but Dodd. I really like their team. Trimble-Cowen-Huerter-Jackson reminds me of our two good years in terms of perimeter talent

I agree. That said I still think we have a better team this year. Weā€™re very inconsistent but I really feel if each team plays their best game that we beat them. Iā€™m praying maars confidence and aggression keeps up. I really think people on this site undervalue him. Iā€™m he wakes up late like last year and our bigs stay on the floor I really think weā€™re gonna be a nightmare to guard. Iā€™m just so praying we turn it on and stay consistent cause we could really close the year big.

We really have had a lot of games in sight and gave them away. Our record could be so different. Really underachieving imo. Or in the Wisconsin game the refs just took it from us. We got a few make up calls and then give them props for rising to the challenge once it went to ot and late in the gene but letā€™s face it the refs kept them in. With a good crew we open that game up to 16-20 late in the second half and we would have had moe and dj on the floor instead of on the bench. Or maybe it was Walton? There were two or three guys in serious foul trouble on a bunch of crap. With our big lead best players on the floor combined with how terrible Wisconsin was playing them we no way they ever come back on their own. Iā€™ll never forgive them for that. That would look real nice right now. We deserved that game

2 Likes