Big Ten Discussion

Obviously, Iggy has been a starter from day one. I’m talking about the other four. Izzo has gone to his freshmen lately in none garbage time minutes and gotten contributions. He often goes 8-10 deep, which is giving his young guys some actual game experience when it matters. Last night (small sample) his freshmen played a combined 40 minutes with 19 points, 9 rebounds, 5 assist, 1 foul and 1 turnover.
We have had one significant game from Johns and nothing from anyone else, while they still work to prove themselves in practice.
From what I have seen in recent weeks, there is no question in my mind, that their guys are further along. Of course, I don’t watch UM practices, so I don’t have as much to go on with our guys.

1 Like

My point is that if Michigan had a starter out for the last 5-6 games, you probably would have seen a lot more freshmen minutes.

4 Likes

Along those lines, because they have gotten some minutes, Henry, Brown and Kithier look significantly better now than they did early in the season. And they were better able to weather injuries to Langford and Ahrens. I know I’m a broken record at this point, but I’d love to get Johns some minutes again tonight. 8 points, 8 rebounds and then he didn’t play at all the next 3 games.

1 Like

I’m not at all sure that that is a probability. Seems like the plan has been to use Livers to cover the 3,4 and 5 and Brooks to cover the 1 and 2.

A post was split to a new topic: Dave Merritt interviews John Beilein

Thanks for sharing! Great piece!

1 Like

Romeo Langford is a top five draft pick? Ouch.

I’m not super impressed. He is worth the lottery pick though off potential.

I really can’t get over the depth of the big ten. I believe if you stick nw, wis, Indiana, Minny, or Purdue in the sec, big 12, pac 12 ( obviously) or any league that’s not the acc and they would be doing really well.

Really killing each other out here.

I can’t wait for Indiana to do exactly what Wisconsin did last Saturday this Friday. Come into the game limping but playing a top 5 team that is struggling mightily to re find their identity offensively.

4 Likes

I hope they show up Saturday since the game is Friday!

I kid, I kid. I keep thinking it’s Saturday too. Friday game throws me off.

1 Like

Whose side are you on? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Through 8 league games,. Michigan is 1-1 against teams with a positive efficiency margin.

Wolverines will play 7 games of their final 10 games against those 6 positive EM teams compared to 2 of first 10.

1 Like

Kenpom has shifted on us over the last few games. We’re now projected to lose 3 of our last 4.

Two of those games are basically toss ups though (at 49% now) and the overall projection hasn’t shifted (15-5).

1 Like

Does he run some kind of simulation to figure out the overall?

And 4 will be at home, 2 of the 3 road games will be the last two games of the year.

The schedule may be tough but it’s setup very well and way more manageable than stretches in years past.

Don’t think it is a simulation, just aggregate of the probabilities. It isn’t calculated by adding up the W/L for each game, it is just the overall projection of record based on the probabilities. If that makes sense.

Torvik does a simulation.