Big Ten Discussion

Lol. It’s kind of puzzling to me. We must be watching different games. He’s far from flawless, but he’s a rotation player on the #2 team in the country and doing a serviceable job (advanced metrics show remarkable similarity between Z and Eli, though Z obviously plays 2x more minutes),

I think he’s going to have a nice career by the time all is said and done.

8 Likes

Brooks has been growing on me quite a bit compared to what I thought of him coming into the season. I like what he provides to this current team. And if he can make the developmental improvement in the upcoming offseason for next year I think he will be a pretty good player next season too.

3 Likes

I agree - I think his growth this year has been palpable - he appears pretty confident with the ball, defends hard, and has hit some shots.

I still cringe when I see him handling in a press/trap situation, but he’s a solid rotation player.

I can understand feeling some apprehension looking ahead to next year if we lose JP, but I think Brooks can continue to improve and should be solid as an upperclassman too.

4 Likes

Eastern isn’t a guard, so I imagine that has more to do with “taking Brooks over him” than anything else - we probably wanted a guard.

2 Likes

Given what the insiders were saying about that recruitment expect a very angry Eastern and co. showing up at your door any moment for that :joy:

Brooks isnt perfect, but he’s a great combo guard to be able to bring off the bench to play 20 minutes at either posisition if foul trouble dictates it.

7 Likes

Agree with this and @tarverine message completely.

1 Like

Brooks just needs to hit some threes (40%) and he will be ideal for his role. Unfortunately he hasn’t been able to accommodate. I swear 70% of misses are half way down. I’m a big Eli fan

2 Likes

But neither is a good passer; Edwards because he is (often) unwilling and Nairns because he just wasn’t good.

OSU down at the half to Rutgers. Perhaps a let down game after an emotional loss on Saturday.

So hard to win on the road.

First B10 win over a ranked opponent for Steve Pikiell

Steve Pikiell is a REALLY good coach.

1 Like

I swear the announcers were saying it was his second…but I was also discussing decorations with my wife so maybe I didn’t hear correctly.

He came into an absurdly difficult situation and is making very clear progress with the team. Good for them.

However, given his inability to coach offense I view their ceiling under him as “annoying team that knocks a few big teams off occasionally but doesn’t reach the tourney.” He has my respect as a transition guy, but perhaps they’re still one away from making the step they most desire.

3 Likes

Bingo, great fit for the current make up imo

Nice win for Iowa minus Cook.

Andy Katz just made a video about the top 5 venues in the B10 and didn’t list Assembly Hall.

1 Like

11 posts were merged into an existing topic: Michigan State Discussion 2018-19