Big Ten Discussion

It was interesting how he brought none of his assistants from ok st. He essentially put together a staff of nobody that he knew so that he could have a big time recruiting staff with ties to the areas Illinois wants to really recruit (Chicago and st Louis). The one assistant Chin Coleman, former Chicago hs & aau coach was supposedly the driving force behind the ayo stuff. Seems like a guy that lost his way trying to cater to recruiting too much. He hired all of those assistants hoping to land a ton talent and they aren’t so now he basically is stuck with a staff full of guys that knew nothing about his system and are questionable tactical coaches.

We were 34-5 in 2018. Not too shabby.

1 Like

I’ll take a refill of that in 2019 please

1 Like

Projected SOS — 9 of the top 18 are Big Ten teams and all of the top 6.

1 Like

Big Ten play starts back up tonight… Remember this rule for evaluating the Nebraska at Maryland game tonight.

I also think that we’ll learn a lot about Michigan State over the next two games (especially on Saturday) as they face two teams with very solid transition defenses.

1 Like

What would a basketball purist think about all of the turnovers though?

3 Likes

You got it, boss.

I took a quick look at the remaining conference schedules of the contenders, bucketing the road games based on KenPom’s win probabilities, with an “Easy” road game being ones where the visitor has a 75% chance or better of winning, and Mid being one where the visitor’s chances are between 60% and 74%. I also multiplied out the chances of going undefeated at home. It looks like this:

Team "Easy" Mid Hard - Home Sweep
Mich   2     3   4         9%
MSU    1     2   6        12%
Wisc   1     1   7         5%
Ind    0     2   7         1%
OSU    0     1   8         3%
Neb    1     1   7         4%

Michigan definitely has the easiest road to 15 conference wins - protecting the home court and winning the “Easy” and Middling road games would get them to 16. Add in the fact that two of the four Hard road games come in the last two games of the season, and the Wolverines actually have a fair chance of building an insurmountable lead before the showdown in East Lansing.

13 Likes

Watching Maryland’s transition defense makes me appreciate ours even more. They are a mess in that regard. Nebraska should be pushing at every opportunity.

1 Like

I’ll be surprised if Nebraska wins this game. 39-39 early 2nd half

Didn’t work but wow that was a great play by miles

2 Likes

It also wasn’t a foul despite his screaming.

3 Likes

It was a nice play design but if it doesn’t work (as we saw) you have essentially zero chance of getting a shot up.

1 Like

I’m so excited to see Izzo try the McQuaid at point guard lineup against Michigan

First 7 fouls of the Michigan State/Northwestern game called against Northwestern :rofl:

4 Likes

Nebraska couldn’t win a meaningful road game if they played it a mile outside of Lincoln.

1 Like

It was a somewhat close game and then MSU went on a 20-2 run over the course of 5 minutes and now it’s probably over before halftime