Big Ten Discussion

Gotta agree with @ReegsShannon here… play an exempt tourney every year if you are a high major school. Those that don’t drive me crazy.

IU 61, UTA 57 … 8:20 to play… BTN. IU injury report is getting long… Davis out today and Durham injured during the game.

I feel like Illinois can’t go into the season assuming they won’t make the NCAA tournament. And having Northwestern’s schedule from last year won’t get you any closer to making it.

Nebraska is running what might be the most pathetic 1-3-1 I’ve seen

Nebraska needs to start winning these kinds of games if they want to be taken seriously

It may have just been today (his season stats suggest it was), but that Talon Tucker-Horton kid we were on late in the cycle for this class lit Illinois up like a Christmas tree - finishing at the rim, rebounding, an insane no-look dime.

1 Like

First big test for Nebraska away from home… Huskers fall flat on their face. Same story, different season.

2 Likes

I wish we would have still chased Horton tucker after brazdeikis commited. However, if I remember right horton tucker was very worried about having other forward types in the same recruiting class so he probaby wouldn’t have came anyway.

I agree I loved him. Kids going to be a beast but what can you do. He was one of my favorites of 2018.

Also I’m very bitter we didn’t stay on timme or that he wasn’t into us in 2019. I’m very high on Jalen to be a nice player for us but timme is just a beast.

I think he’s completely under ranked (last I checked) and just watching him all I could picture is another moe but I’d argue timme was further along than moe at this point. Timme would have been unstoppable in our system. I’m convinced that kid will be a lottery pick in two years although I’ve never thought few was the best developer of talent or in game strategist.

I’d argue he’s actually underachieved with the talent he’s accrued over the years. fews improved in that regards and you have to give him props In recruiting and for turning that program into a power but he’s had so many players/ talent fall short of what they could have been.

Maybe he spoke with Drew Neitzel. After all, he is in the Wyoming (MI) High School Athletic Hall of Fame.
:grin:

Nebraska looked pretty awful in the half I watched. Too many guys trying individually to get theirs.

Don’t get the wrong idea, I think all P5 teams should participate in those. I just don’t know if going to Maui was the best idea. Playing in the Gavitt and ACC-B1G games are obviously out of their control, plus the annual Mizzou game, so perhaps playing in what is annually a bloodbath of elite teams in what is also a mega rebuilding year isn’t the best for both far fetched tourney goals and (what I view as more relevant) getting the .500 record to at least play some postseason in the NIT. Different strokes for different folks though, I see how wanting to face the best of the best could also be beneficial.

The trip to Maui usually has to be set up a few years before, so tough to project what the team is going to look like. Illinois is a program that expects to be competing to go to the NCAA every year (obviously been a struggle of late) so it isn’t like you go into a season and want to schedule to make the NIT. You aren’t Rutgers.

Ah, I was under the assumption that these were one year in advance things. Understood.

Next year’s Maui field was announced in March, but obviously wheels were probably in motion ahead of time.

I believe Maui has a rule that teams can only play there every X number of years and there can only be one team per conference so that makes it important to get in the rotation.

By the way, if you ever have to a chance to go to the Maui Invitational… go. Best preseason tourney out there from the atmosphere in the arena, the location, the beach, everything. Pretty huge gap between that and every other event.

3 Likes

Idk Dylan. I went to Mohegan Sun for our pre-season tournament and gotta say that the beaches in Uncasville are top notch.

15 Likes

What are your thoughts on traveling to Atlantis next year? Looks like it’s going to be crazy expensive and from what I can gather it isn’t all inclusive like other resorts?

Atlantis was OK. It definitely isn’t cheap and you are kind of stuck in the resort – not much else around. Don’t think there is an all-inclusive option, but there are various meal plans and stuff like that.

I believe the rule is that you can only participate in any particular non-exempt tournament once every 4 years

That makes sense with Michigan in Atlantis in 2016 and 2019*. Believe that Atlantis also pays teams more than any other tourney.