Big Ten Discussion

No, we did offer him.

2 Likes

Are you sureā€¦I thought he was hemming and hawing about what class to classify inā€¦Maryland gave him an offer in the earlier classā€¦we wanted him to stay in the later class?

I guess Iā€™m saying Iā€™m pretty sure we did not offer him in the class he enrolled in.

We did initially want him for 2017 but ultimately offered him for 2016.

1 Like

So, like Currie then?

Michigan wanted Huerter. UM was going to host him on an official visit, but he committed on his Maryland official visit the week before.

3 Likes

He would have looked good in this offense.

I can easily see Huerter being an NBA player. Although I also thought that about Nik.

Nick seemed more athletic to me with a better handle.

1 Like

Nik played a bigger role offensively and was more of a playmaker, but I think that ability is there for Huerter. I donā€™t remember Nikā€™s testing, but I would be shocked if Huerter doesnā€™t grade out as more athletic at the combine. Heā€™s a far better defender and is underrated there IMO.

Heā€™s basically a college version of Klay Thompson, just have to see if it translates.

1 Like

Stauskas was right up there with Cassius Winston as far as defensive prowess

Lol. My memory is escaping me on Nikā€™s defense but I do enjoy the reference. Iā€™m well aware of Cassiusā€™s defensive ā€œprowessā€.

1 Like

So does Turgeon get credit for the development of Huerter and Fernandez?

2 Likes

Is prowess spelled wrong? Iā€™m drawing a blank. Googled it originally and it came up. I know it doesnā€™t look right. 10 years ago Iā€™d have gotten it right; if indeed it is wrong

Oh I get it. Youā€™re accenting the actual lack of prowess. Iā€™m slow

1 Like

As much credit as Shaka Smart gets for developing Mo Bamba. :smile:

3 Likes

Heurter has a high basketball IQ. Beilein was on him early and I always regretted that we didnā€™t get him. Liked his game.

Huerter has serious game. Wouldā€™ve been a stud at UM

ā€œBruno Fernando: A physical specimen with a profile similar to Hilton Armstrong (233 pounds, 7-4 wingspan), Fernando is light on his feet with flashes of a motor on the offensive glass and decent touch from the free throw line. He also put together a few impressive possessions protecting the rim. With that said, his lack of instincts and feel was apparent offensively and on the defensive glass, and it remains to be seen how much room for improvement he has long-term. Fernando could get looks in the late second round as a G League development project, should he opt to stay in the draft.ā€

That seems dead-on to me. Heā€™s a decent player but nothing to get overly excited about at the next level.

A more interesting quote from that story:

Huerter looks every bit of a potential first-round pick should he stay in the draft, but he is heavily considering going back to Maryland in hopes of becoming a lottery pick next year in whatā€™s widely considered a much weaker draft.

I also agree with this quote: ā€œExpect an Aaron Holiday-like trajectory should Edwards return to Purdue.ā€ā€¦ Carsen Edwards set for a huge year.

It seems weird to me the that Huerter would expect to make a jump to a lottery pick. Thatā€™s a pretty big jump for him. Particularly as a junior in college.