Big Ten Discussion

Yes, the “best case scenario” is that we finish 14-4 in the Big Ten with 8 straight wins, go 3-0 in the Big Ten Tournament, and 6-0 in the NCAA Tournament, and hoist a championship banner. But I’m going with real-world scenarios.

Still waiting for your prediction, and your justification for it.

Every game is a learning opportunity for every player on every team, including all of the teams we have yet to play. The assumption that only our young players and nobody else’s are going to improve is not valid for predicting our success going forward. Poole, Livers, Teske and Simpson seem to have topped out for this year. The rest of our guys are what they are. Sure, it’s possible that out of nowhere, the basketball gods will flip a switch in the middle of February and have a couple of our players ramp their game up to a whole new level, but I prefer to deal with realistic scenarios and expectations. And it’s far more likely that the “upside” for our freshmen will come next year, and not in the next few weeks.

LOL at CBS calling Maryland’s loss @ #23 Michigan a “bad loss” on their resume.

7 Likes

I saw that. Unbelievable! What a joke! I literally just said to my wife, “Who writes this crap?!?”

2 Likes

Here is a hypothetical for you: If in an alternative universe we played our last remaining 8 games first and our first ten games last; and, if we actually went 4-4 in those 8 games, as you predicted, then would it be reasonable for you to predict us to go 6-4 in our last 10? Do you see why some might find your prediction odd without additional reasons offered on your part?

On a semi-related note: I think Heurter might be one of my least favorite recruiting whiffs. His game is so nice, and would look even better in JB’s offense. I miss Battle, Cassius, and Langford too; but Heurter’s ceiling looks insane. (This is just referring to realistic recruiting, gonna leave out Brown, Bamba, JJJ etc.)

5 Likes

As I said, I deal with real world scenarios. And I see no reason to discuss anything further with you when you refuse to give your own prediction and justification for it. If you disagree with mine, then you must have your own, so why are you afraid to state it and defend it openly?

There’s a poster from a long ass time ago whose username was “Ben” and you remind me exactly of him.

2 Likes

In general, I think it’s bad of the league to ask a team to play a home game on Friday night and then an away game Sunday afternoon. But with this MSU program I’m finding it awfully hard to be sympathetic.

Every time I watch Maryland I think this. Heurter would have been perfect in JB’s system. Vince Edwards and Cassius Winston are my other two big what ifs. I still think Cash would be an all American under JB at some point

2 Likes

Vince is another good one: perfect player for the 4, and a 4-year player (though, probably not, if he played for JB :grinning:)

4 Likes

I can’t believe how many put back dunks Maryland MISSES!

Let’s face it, the B1G has really struggled with scheduling this year!

Fernando’s ball screen D has been laughable, Winston just power-walking by him; good reminder that our first-half PNR offense shredded them, and we just missed layup after layup that it generated. Wonder how much longer Winston will sit with 3 fouls.

edit: Winston came in as soon a Fernando came back in…

I need someone to give me the offensive PPP stats for MSU when Cassius Winston is on the floor, when Tum Tum is on the floor and then when they’re on the floor together

And now Fernando, who can’t make a put back dunk, tips in a missed free throw for the Spartans!

1 Like

Can’t believe this is the same Purdue team that we just played. They are bricking shots left and right. Maybe they haven’t recovered from the UM game yet.

1 Like

And we didnt even need them to play badly, to win either/both games! We just needed them to play like mortals

1 Like

PU first half shooting 48% and 27% from 3. I think they shot 62% for the game against us and about 50% from deep. Timing is everything.

Hard to see us losing to NW anywhere. We have the personnel to match up with their most efficient players (Vic Law v Matthews, Livers v Pardon). They’re good offensive rebounders (entirely due to Pardon 12.5% OR%) and 3pt defense and that’s about it. Our defensive rebounding should negate their offensive rebounding. We’ll see what happens with 3-pointers. We’re superior everywhere else.