Big Ten Discussion

I wonder if Lavall Jordan may have done enough in the Horizon league tournament to prove he’s ready for Butler. His interviews sound like he’s ready to lead at the next level. He may be a long shot but certainly one of the up and coming coach’s…

The press conference seemed that way to me. I feel bad for Matta, especially if it’s ill health that took him out of form. I enjoyed watching his good teams.

1 Like

This seems like a good idea, although it depends whether these two games are replacing guarantee games or the UCLA/Texas type home and homes. It would be nice to play more home and homes against the other teams in the conference and add more meaning to the conference championship. And it does seem like it’s getting harder to schedule the premier nonconference home and homes, although we’ve had some good ones so who knows.

I’d love it. While I’d love to do true round-robin home and aways, that’s not really feasible. 20 games is. No reason we should have such unbalanced schedules within a conference.

1 Like

22 posts were split to a new topic: Non-conference scheduling/RPI/Alabama A&M

Thanks for that sentiment. The bottom just fell out on him. His health may be the main reason. I hope he can get back to feeling good again, as much as possible, anyway.

3 Likes

An OSU suspension

Freshman Forward Derek Funderburk Suspended

COLUMBUS, Ohio-Chris Holtmann, Ohio State head men’s basketball coach, suspended redshirt freshman forward Derek Funderburk Thursday for failure to meet team expectations.

Funderburk, a native of Lakewood, Ohio, played his senior year of high school at Hargrave Military Academy. He redshirted in 2016-17 at Ohio State and has four years of eligibility remaining.

There’s a new sheriff in town.

2 Likes

Jeez, I don’t think I’ve ever seen teams spiral out of control quite like MSU football and OSU basketball this past year aside from major scandals.

1 Like

How about M football when Lloyd Carr left. Pretty ugly.

1 Like

Eh, I was thinking more of discipline issues and players leaving for bad reasons. I understand why a lot of the guys left after Carr and our miserable season was after a major coaching philosophy switch.

1 Like

The Ellerbe years and the aftermath still have them beat, though the pending sanctions did play a role in that.

Yup, I was very young when he was still here so I have no memory of that really happening.

Can’t wait for the Big Ten teams who lose in the first round of the NCAA tourney to blame the Big Ten tourney schedule

Is there some reason that it HAD to be at MSG next season? Did Delaney check on availability of of MSG before committing the B1G to MSG? This decision not only creates a big gap between BTT and NCAAs, but compresses the early schedule and puts greater burden on the student/athletes (if that term really means anything to Delaney).

As I just tweeted: follow the money. The hockey/hoops double headers also being at the Garden make me think there’s a pretty generous financial setup and incentive to have the tourney at MSG.

1 Like

I’m not privy to Barclay’s event schedule, but BTT at Barclay’s during the usual tourney week would have been so much better than this early MSG set up. All about Delaney and $$$ and some personal goal of holding an event at “the basketball mecca.” I’m sure Beilein will adjust accordingly, I just hope it doesn’t negatively impact the team.

2 Likes

ACC Tournament is at Barclays from March 6th through 10th so that wouldn’t work (at least this year).

Kyle Young to OSU