Big Ten Basketball 2022-23 Discussion

Yikes

2 Likes

With the B1G in such a down year, they could get smoked in the noncon and get blooded for 16-4 conference run

1 Like

I’m not a big AJ Hoggard guy, personally.

2 Likes

3 wins here would be a good performance

1 Like

16-4 seems pessimistic. 17 wins feels like the minimum for them

7 Likes

Ant is not convinced yet

1 Like

I just hope they play Akins less than Walker and Hoggard again. He’ll bolt quicker than Max Christie did.

4 Likes

I think the fantasy scenario from a Michigan perspective is that Izzo sticks to a traditional lineup like:

Hoggard - Holloman
Walker - Akins
Hall - Brooks
Hauser - Hall
Kohler - Sissoko - Cooper

Akins goes grossly underplayed Bingham-style, strictly as the backup 2 for like 16mpg. No three-guard lineups or Walker supplantation. Sissoko and Cooper needlessly combine for 20mpg at the 5.

5 Likes

I was really down on Hoggard too like Dylan - thought he was on the Tum Tum trajectory. Then he was actually…pretty good (?) last year? He’s never going to be great and has some pretty clear limitations, but he’s so much what Izzo likes that I think he’s going to be fine. Defense, transition, effort, attacking the rim…you can live with that if you’re Izzo. In some ways he’s an interesting analog for what Frankie Collins might have been this year.

So I am reluctant to trash him too much in these types of debates because I think his floor is still decent. Walker and Akins have higher ceilings because of their offense, but Izzo’s going to ride Hoggard a lot I think.

4 Likes

Akins is going to get 25mpg easy. They lost Brown Bingham Christie and Marble. That’s 85mpg with guys that never missed a game. People forget Akins still got 14mpg who else would get those minutes???

2 Likes

I though Hoggard was Average at best last year. Can’t shoot the 3. Gaudy assist numbers (thanks scorekeeper) but awful turnover numbers.

2.5:1 assist to turnover ratio that’s pretty good

1 Like

Hoggard is actually a really high level playmaker/passer IMO. The joke about the scorekeeper is fair and funny but I think it’s much more applicable to Walker’s high numbers than Hoggard’s.

2 Likes

Kohler gets Bingham’s.
Sissoko gets Marble’s.
Akins gets some of Christie’s but hopefully not all of it. Hopefully Walker and Hoggard also take chunks.
Brooks (and Hall) get Brown’s.

1 Like

Again this is the fantasy scenario. Evil Izzo will play small, three-guard, five-out. 30 mpg for Akins.

1 Like

Hoggard, more like Humphrey Boggart lol

5 Likes

The half-court offense is haggard.

2 Likes

Man I wish we had gotten Jalen Warley or Jaden Akins instead of Frankie lol

1 Like

I just don’t see how Hoggard is going to create in the half court and we’ve seen way too many B1G seasons at this point to be especially scared of transition offense. I guess he might be the only guy who can’t shoot on the floor? Maybe they invert the offense and let him bully smaller guards?

1 Like

Warley wasn’t very good.

1 Like