Big Ten Basketball 2022-23 Discussion

Maryland at least got the hot noncon start under a new coach

OSU is still a tournament team as of now and had some big wins early.

Genuinely feel like UM is prob last

3 Likes

How long does now last?

Torvik still has them 84% to make it

I’m not sure how valuable Torvik’s bracket projection tool is with half of the season still to play. Makes sense that it would like them because of the computer metrics but they are 3-5 and go on the road for 3 of the next 4.

Their best non-conference win is over an 0-7 team in the Big 12? And their best win shouldn’t have counted.

Wisconsin at 10.3% too, Bart might have to change the algo when he gets home from the NW game :rofl:

4 Likes

Doesn’t he generally do quite poorly in the Bracket Matrix rankings?

1 Like

Michigan needs to win like 4 straight just to approach the “last 4 in” territory OSU is currently at. They may not last, but I’d trade seasons with them immediately right now, and they weren’t expected to finish top 3 in the conference

4 Likes

objectively worst bracket in the country

4 Likes

Wasn’t meaning to compare them to Michigan. Just saying that having the Big Ten FOY and missing the tourney wouldn’t really rank highly on an enjoyment scale.

The entire idea of last four in is just hard to comprehend right now because there are so many more games!

Also Michigan was picked 3rd and OSU 5th right? Not a huge difference there really? Sorry I just looked and OSU was picked 6th.

But for real, that is actually pretty close to the truth.

This year’s bubble should honestly put an end to tournament expansion talk forever. So many mediocre power conference teams.

6 Likes

Wisconsin boards are flaming Gard tonight, seems like a weird game to tip the scales but whatever

3 Likes

Are they calling him any names having to do with excrement or bugs?

6 Likes

No, it’s so boring and colorless. Gard sucks, he can’t recruit, he got outcoached. Lame!

7 Likes

Losing to the immortal Chase Audige and being out foxed by noted genius Chris Collins will do that.

In reality this is what happens when you play in so many low scoring close games. Sometimes you win by a couple, sometimes you lose to Northwestern.

2 Likes

Also when Brad Davidson starts his 8-year journey…

1 Like

Counter point: This year we’ll see some surprising runs where some of those mediocre power conference teams win a few games in the NCAA Tournament and everyone will say LOOK AT THE PARITY as a reason for expansion :slight_smile:

Well. Yes. You’re probably right.

I wonder if this will be something close to the new normal: power conferences separating themselves from mid-majors, but there’s more parity within the power conferences.

My theory would be that the transfer portal is responsible. Instead of playing freshmen in November teams are playing more upperclassmen, which leads to a bigger gap between the high and mid majors. But I have no data to back this up.

Conference expansion is also really bad for mid and low majors to get more bids. The Horizon League could occasionally get two teams in because Butler was good enough for an at-large. Same for the MVC with Creighton and Wichita State. Conference USA used to have Marquette, Louisville, Memphis, and Cincinnati.

If the tournament expanded this year who would benefit? The Mountain West would get an extra team, C-USA would get one or two more, but mostly it would be a safety net for teams like Michigan, Ohio State, Kentucky, Oregon, and St. John’s. So in other words, yeah, it’s definitely expanding.

3 Likes

Yeah, I think it would definitely let more high major bubble type teams in. I would really push for a way to get regular season champs who don’t win their conference tournament in but … only the good ones :rofl:.

Not sure how you can swing that. We don’t need the OVC runner up in the field, but the tourney would be awesome if we can figure out how to get top-100 type of mid-majors in the field like an Oral Roberts,

Maybe if you are top-100 NET ranked and win your league you get in?

2 Likes

It’s a sad day. The old Big Ten Tournament pinwheel logo is no more

3 Likes

An appropriate change for this mediocre conference

3 Likes