Big Ten Basketball 2022-23 Discussion

They should try opening their visors before they shoot…

If Hummel subscribes to this site I DEMAND he get active on the board

2 Likes
1 Like

Illinois is getting ran out of their own gym by Indiana

Somebody make this league make sense

2 Likes

One team is good.

13 Likes

Suddenly it makes sense. Thank you

8 Likes

Northwestern is ducking everyone after losing to Michigan

3 Likes

Can’t have a losing streak if you don’t play!

1 Like

I think I would be even more frustrated if I were a die hard Illinois fan than I am as a Michigan fan. Both teams have played way below expectations after losing several players from last year. But Illinois has four rotation players who are upper classmen. They also have young guards who are all over the place, but Shannon, Mayer, Hawkins, and Danja should be more consistent.

3 Likes

Trayce is playing one of the best games of basketball I have seen in the big ten this year, if not the best

Given his health issues and dwindling teammates, you have to tip your cap

6 Likes

At some point you have to double and get IU out of their comfort zone posting up.

Does anyone know how many posesssions were in this Purdue/Minnesota game?

It’s really hard to win by over 20 when you only score 61, but they managed

1 Like

So slow, and bad offense all around, Minnesota just extremely so.

1 Like

At least the Big Ten is all figured out :rofl:

I’d expect Maryland to climb over rthe next two weeks once they have their three-game homestand.

Purdue looks like they are a couple more good weeks away from winning the league in a runaway.

Maybe we just let Purdue represent us in the tournament this year…not exactly a lot of glory to go around in this conference. This also isn’t the cliche “The B10 is so good they just beat each other up.”. This year it is “none of these teams are good enough to string together wins, win on the road, or survive an injury.”.

4 Likes

Which, to be fair, does seem like there have been more key injuries this year than in years past. Not disagreeing as your point is spot on but you do have to wonder what a lot of these teams would look like if they didn’t have people missing stretches of time.

There’s only one team that I really like to make a run and that’s Purdue. But 2 through 12 (almost 14) are all so similarly ranked (in the 40-60) range that that is what is going on.

That’s sort of what I am saying though. There have been years past where there are 6-8 good teams but more of them are 25-45. A lot of these teams are closer to 50-60 and those aren’t “good” teams who are one hot streak away from being interesting.

Injuries are definitely a part of it with UM, IU, MSU, OSU, Iowa, and WI all having at least one starter miss multiple games. I think those are magnified even more given that there is more turnover year to year than ever before. Every team is rebuilding half their roster so the first half of the year is already sloppy.

I wonder if there’s a stat you could find comparing how much roster turnover there was on average in the league every five years dating back to the turn of the century. The B10 has never had a OAD team who’s used to this. Beilein had a lot of attrition for a while, but reacted by having depth guys after the Dawkins/Rahk/Doyle season. MSU is usually old and deep and they aren’t. Illinois is relying on a team with one returning player. Purdue has figured it out…mostly because they have the POY.

The difference is that if there were four teams that are about as good as the average Big Ten team and then 4 teams sub-150 and 4 teams in the 100-150 range, those four average Big Ten teams would look a lot better.

They can’t be consistent or win on the road because they are playing teams that are generally as good as them each time out.