Big Ten Basketball 2022-23 Discussion

In three weeks he’s gone from parachuting out to Kentucky to parachuting out to Louisville. Trending poorly.

2 Likes

There’s just nothing good about their resume

Their win over Rutgers (which was BS) is all they got

That Texas Tech win looked good but it’s turned to trash

Losing by 9 at Duke looks worse

Losing on a neutral court to a mediocre UNC

It’s very similar to us, excepted the current trajectories

2 Likes

Two Q1 wins compared to 0 is the primary differentiator for OSU.

This is what I like about Holtmann. He doesn’t win titles or get past the first weekend, but he wins enough to not be fireable. Ideal for a rival school coach.

7 Likes

Those teams don’t have tournament wins but have conference championships. I don’t know how you can make a case Ohio State has been a better program than either of them. It would be reaching.

I thought osu had 1 but looks like they missed by a game so I’ll give you that. Wisky shared their 2 and I litigated that a bit already today but yes advantage to them there. Osu has not missed the tourney in that time whereas Wisconsin did once and Illinois did twice(Illinois was really really bad those 2 years). OSU went 15-3 in 18 which is actually a better record than any of Wisconsin or Illinois’ shared titles, who didn’t have to go up against a Cassius Winston MSU team in their winning season

The 3 of them are in a tier together. Illinois’ edge is the trajectory of their program. Wisconsins edge is the 2 shared titles from over performing teams.

Ohio State is a storied program. 10+ years without a banner or second weekend is pretty remarkable

1 Like

I also enjoy pointing out that the last time they made a Sweet 16 was the year we finished runner up.

No conference championships and no Sweet 16s by year 6 would be a pretty horrific start. I don’t think Matta left a dumpster fire and Ohio is a pretty talented state.

2 Likes

Part of Holtmann’s issue was he was incredible his first year. That team with KBD wasn’t supposed to do much and they were legit until the now typical March fade. But that set the bar really high and it just hasn’t kept up.

2 Likes

Matta ended on a slide but his peak was incredible. from 05-13 he hung at least one banner every single year but one

3 Likes

I do enjoy this OSU fade but am concerned about the game with Michigan. I think they match up really well with Michigan. Wings that are highly regarded like ours, a big that Hunter can’t push around and has given him trouble in the past.

They could be quite wounded by the time that game rolls around which could be good or could be bad. But as they continue to fade, that would make a Michigan loss there a pretty rough situation they can’t afford.

2 Likes

Parachuting to Bellarmine by the end of the season

1 Like

Yeah, the Rutgers win is nonsense (I realize my opinion doesn’t matter)

I presume @NW is the other?

Torvik has both in Q2 for some reason

Ohio State will be nasty in a few years once their back to back top 10 recruiting classes mature and if they take advantage of the portal

2 Likes

Left BTN on when I was doing stuff around the house after the OSU loss. Now watching the Fab Five play Iowa from 1993 in the Chris Street game. A few observations…

• I remember how much I hated Billy Packer. Such a surly old man for an announcer.
  • Watching Webber rebound was so much fun.
  • Watching Rose run offense (especially in the open floor) and Juwan in the post brings back fond memories.
  • I may have solved why Jett struggles on defense. I think Jalen must have been his idol or coach. Jalen just didn’t try very much on that end.
  • For as awesome and fun as the Fab Five was, the number of dumb mistakes they would make in a game was so maddening… especially against a team running a full court press most of the game. Over the backs, feet on the line, goal tending, offensive fouls, long twos…Ray Jackson was a frequent offender. Also pretty sure these refs (pre restricted circle) have called 67 charges under the hoop.
  • Also funny to see that the other non FF to start this game is the Lakers GM.
4 Likes

Crew cut character who looks like a 70s dream of a basketball coach for a conservative midwestern university.

Some recent pieces about how he’s on thinning ice in Eleven Warriors, but I think he can squeeze out a few more years of mediocrity with minimum risk.

And that should be fine with all of us.

I took in the scenery at Eleven Warriors. The natives (at least the ones who showed up to post) are definitely restless. But apparently OSU extended Holtmann’s contract last offseason? That’d make it expensive to fire him. I imagine he survives.

I don’t see Holtmann on the hot seat, at least yet.

I think it would take a miss of the tournament this year and probably next.

1 Like

OSU is 63-172 (36.6%) from 2 over the last 4 games, with no game over 42%. That’s ridiculously bad, and fatal for a team which doesn’t get to the line (283rd nationally, per Torvik) or shoot a high volume of 3s (308th nationally).

Ton of midrange pull ups from Sensabaugh in that span. Not sure if that is the cause or the symptom though.