Big Ten Basketball 2022-23 Discussion

Carson Cooper going to be a problem for opponents in the future confirmed.

Monster game for MSU at home against Rutgers on Thursday.

Huge spot for Rutgers if it wants to be taken seriously as a contender. Huge spot for MSU ahead of at IU, Iowa, at Purdue, Rutgers at MSG.

Gotta win this one or could have a losing conference record headed into Feb.

he will be the first team All-B1G center this year

1 Like

So that game tips off at 6:30 and Michigan tips off at 7 and Purdue tips off at 7, then closing you have Illinois at 830. Why would they schedule 3 games overlapping from 6:30 to 8:30 and then have Michigan/Purdue close overlap with Illinois?? Seems like a blunder to me.

3 Likes

FS1 has their typical 6:30/8:30 doubleheader, actually a tripleheader with a Pac-12 game at 10:30. I do agree itā€™s a bit weird for ESPN and ESPN2 to both have a Big Ten game at 7:00 but they have hockey and tennis on after.

Weird schedule this week too because of MLK games so I think more on Thursday.

1 Like

Something, I said. Which is not the same as all things. It would be foolish to assume we have nothing to learn from a program that can win at the rate they do with the talent they have.

Heā€™s also won/shared 3 of the last 8 conference regular-season titles.

2 Likes

2 of 7, no? And both shared IIRC.

2 Likes

And both of them his team had the weakest in conference SOS of the teams tied

As a data pointā€¦ the blue line is when Greg Gard takes over. Michigan is the comp, just for a talking point.

3 Likes

If we are to be honest neither program is ascending and the decline has been quite quick.

'15 outright, 20 and 22 shared.

To be clear ā€“ your position is that thereā€™s nothing Wisconsin does that Michigan might want to emulate/study/adapt/learn from?

1 Like

No I donā€™t really think so. Totally different types of programs that are trying to be run. I guess just be better at defense, but they have a very specific style of defense that we donā€™t have to emulate by any means

Have better HCA maybe?

He didnā€™t coach the 2015 team fwiw

I donā€™t know what Barthag measures, but that second last round dot there in red ā€“ the one midpoint of a precipitous decline ā€“ represents a year they went 15-5 and shared the conference title. Is Barthag objectively the worst metric?

1 Like

'15 was Bo Ryan, not Gard.

I have no idea what you are getting at with something to emulate. If I was building Michiganā€™s program I donā€™t think I would focus on recruiting sub-200 ranked kids, focusing on RSing kids, and I probably wouldnā€™t choose their defensive or offensive scheme.

Not that it doesnā€™t work and it canā€™t work but I would probably prefer a lot of other systems if you want to recruit to a system. I also think that you if you are looking forward over the next five years, you are better off prioritizing portal evaluation than RS development.

I would just like to make it known that I think Connor Essegian is awesome and fun

Chucky Hepburn is awesome and fun too. Probably would even be more fun in different systems.

2 Likes

When they have 4th year Hepburn, 3rd year Essegian, and 5th year Crowl they will probably share the title again. I would put money on that now if I could

Title schmitle will they finish top 40 on KenPom tho