Big Ten Basketball 2022-23 Discussion

Just say no to box score-calculated defensive rating!

2 Likes

But D rating is based on PPP though isnā€™t it? Never mind if I have that wrong :(.

this is the surest way to get utterly dunked on by Dylan. he has posterized me on DRtg so many times

11 Likes

Look at the userā€™s name though. May be trying to set up a dunk

6 Likes

DRtg on BB ref is essentially a mix of box score stays and team defense.

I donā€™t find it a particularly useful measure of defense.

For example, Hunter had the best DRtg on Michigan last year.

My girls would kill people for the shoes, I believe.

Counter argument: what better environment to induce randomness into what would otherwise be an obvious route? What better way to make sure you dont mistake your 10th man for your zone-beater savior than only playing 9 guys?

2 Likes

Exactly what Iā€™ve been saying. Frankly shocking that @BigBoutros hasnt bought into narrative

1 Like

I actually have bought into this for MSU as a season-long solution. If Izzo doesnā€™t have 15 guys he canā€™t play 15 guys. Heā€™s either going to go small and do what works or heā€™s going to tank his program by playing walk-on football players

4 Likes

Arenā€™t the 10-15 guys just Carson Cooper, Jason Whitens, Maliq Carr, Keon Coleman and Steven Izzo? He might still play them :rofl:

Thatā€™s what Iā€™m saying. Thatā€™s the risk. The upside of 9 scholarships is that maybe it forces him to only play 9 guys. The downside is that maybe Tom Izzo canā€™t help himself.

If you know for a fact heā€™s going to play 15 guys then you at least want them to be scholarship players. The worst outcome is 9 scholarships but he voluntarily gives 30+ minutes to the Carr-Coleman-Izzo pupu platter.

3 Likes

Yeah watch Izzo come out with the tightest 6 man rotation and go like 16-4 in conference. It was Stephens holding him back the whole time.

Edit: I would hate this and be angry at the world.

9 Likes

I think he could survive if the 9 guys were more positionally balanced but 4 of the 9 being legit smallish guards is a nightmare for a coach that doesnā€™t lean into small ball. Like if the centers all end up horrible and he has to play Hauser at the 5, that has a trickle down effect where now you need someone to play backup minutes at the 3 and 4, and the only guys there are Malik Hall who wonā€™t play 40 minutes and Pierre Brooks who might also stink.

I would hammer the over on 9.5 minutes played by Cooper + Whitens + football players

1 Like

Heā€™ll be able to survive when Jaxon Kohler stuffs Hunter into a trashcan and takes all 20 dollars of his earned NIL money

1 Like

Would you really? Good heavens

They will have a lot of mop up duty after Kohler drops 25&10.

9 Likes

14 & 7******** on a stinky stinky team

this is unbelievably stinky and smelly

2 Likes

So aside from Duke and UNC, if they bomb out in the Maui invitational, this could be a real garbage pail of a non con schedule.

3 Likes

This is a Rutgers-level non-con slate.

2 Likes