Big Ten Basketball 2022-23 Discussion

Other Brad Underwood notes: says Dain Dainja might be their best ball handler, and is on the Bartholomew Torvik Memorial RJ Melendez hype train, specifically referencing Keegan Murray and Johnny Davis.

2 Likes

come again?

1 Like

I remember there being a lot of slipping on the court the first time MSU & NC did this.

1 Like

Maybe don’t play there? Maybe play a basketball game on a regular basketball court in front of the military? Maybe make better choices

7 Likes

didn’t Delvon Roe injure his knee on it? Draymond has already gone public asking them not to play this game

3 Likes

Definitely a step above Moneyball.

Hey Jaxon good luck against Oscar and Timme (and maybe Bacot) :+1:t2: Should be easy enough to get your 14 points in those ones

1 Like

Bediako, Kel’El Ware, Clingan, Nate Laszewski…

3 Likes

Also, good luck defending Eric Dixon for Villanova. Something tells me Jaxon won’t be the greatest at perimeter defense

UConn still has Sanogo too

5 Likes

Indiana at 15 or whatever is weird but aren’t TCU and Creighton getting the exact same kind of hype for bringing everyone back from a semi-good team? Those were both 9 seeds. Heck right behind Indiana in Parrish’s rankings is Texas A&M who’s bringing everyone but one guy back from the NIT championship team. Isn’t that how Penn State got overhyped that one year after they won and Lamar Stevens and Mike Watkins were back?

Maybe it’s just a down year overall, or all the extra year COVID guys last season warped our expectations of what makes a team good enough to be 15-25th.

1 Like

I definitely agree that everyone over hypes the team that returns everyone even if those returning players are mediocre. IU was a blown 20 point lead by Michigan (ugh) from being in the NIT. Not sure running it back is great.

However, I will say that with the B10 being down this year it might be better to be the old, steady team. There aren’t a lot of B10 teams who seem to have high upside. Everyone is pretty middle of the road and there aren’t a ton of new recruits or transfers that look to drastically alter the landscape. IU treading water might actually end up being better in a year like this.

1 Like

does treading water mean staying at the bottom of the B1G in 3pt% and 3pt rate?

I agree IU is top-4 by default but Miller Kopp is their best shooter…

Maybe in his 4th season TJD will develop a jumper

Wrong. Too low.

1 Like

I know they are all pumped about Reneau and JHS, and for good reason, but it’s remarkable how redundant they are. Reneau plays the same position as TJD and Race and Geronimo, even though all three are being hyped as starters and none of them shoot. JHS is a big Xavier Johnson. I guess they can play together with JHS as the off-ball 2? But he doesn’t shoot 3s either!

Everyone is forgetting about Parker Stewart and I understand why, but he led IU in 3P, 3PA, 3P%, 3PAr and they didn’t replace him at all, not with a starter nor a freshman nor a Joey Baker.

Who on this roster do you want leading the team in all those shooting categories? Kopp? XJ? Trey Galloway?

I guess the bottom line is nobody will score on them and they’ll just win their games 60-50

4 Likes

let me give this a try

Xavier Johnson (35) | Jalen Hood-Schifino (5)
Jalen Hood-Schifino (25) | Tamar Bates or Trey Galloway (15)
Tamar Bates or Trey Galloway (15) | Miller Kopp (20) | Trey Galloway (5)
Race Thompson (25) | Malik Reneau (15)
Trayce Jackson-Davis (35) | Race Thompson (5)

wait a minute where is Geronimo? is he a 3? uhh

Xavier Johnson (30) | Jalen Hood-Schifino (10)
Jalen Hood-Schifino (20) | Tamar Bates (20)
Jordan Geronimo (15) | Miller Kopp (15) | Trey Galloway (10)
Race Thompson (25) | Malik Reneau (15)
Trayce Jackson-Davis (35) | Race Thompson (5)

TJD - 35
Race - 30
XJ - 30
JHS - 30
Bates - 20
Reneau - 15
Geronimo - 15
Kopp - 15
Galloway - 10

I guess?

1 Like

I was shocked neither Geronimo or Race transferred.

I think they need Bates to shoot a lot and shoot well. He put up a decent amount. I think Kopp stinks but maybe they can insulate him enough on D to where the can play more this year. Idk. They won’t be fun to watch at all

1 Like

Bates shot 17/57 on 3s last year. Which does make him 3rd best among returning players :face_vomiting:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/indiana/2022.html

Kopp gets rightfully criticized for his lack of overall game, but Bates graded out as Indiana’s worst defender last year.

And honestly, I decided to look at some of Bates highlights from high school or whatever. I don’t think the athletic difference between him and Kopp is as big as some people would assume.

If Bates shoots well, he can be an upgrade. Just not sure how much of an upgrade IMO.