Big Ten Basketball 2022-23 Discussion

But I’m talking about their B1G versions. They are the same. Funk has just been more prolific.

Being commissioner of a power conference is probably a largely thankless job. That said, I have to say I’m not at all sad to see him leave.

1 Like

Now I’m not following? We are talking about how Funk and Spencer were way more complete players at their previous stops who had an impressive amount of shot diversity: OTD, movement, catch and shoot, etc. and how that goes a long way to finding roles at their new stop.

Funk has probably made as many OTD jumpers this year alone as Baker has made in his career.

Based on nothing but offensive statistical profile, Michigan needs to recruit Ryan Moffatt to take his COVID year at Michigan next season and be a C&S monster.

/swoon

1 Like

I know it is a joke but he is exactly the opposite of what we’re talking about with Funk and Spencer :rofl: Basically just a catch and shoot undersized big without any game other than shooting.

The up transfers you want are going to have more game and probably a worse shooting percentage.

1 Like

93.5% of Funk’s 3s are assisted. He’s playing the same role Baker is he’s just doing it better. Spencer has a lot more on ball skills in his game than either of those two. I was just kind of separating Funk from Spencer in what they do now

1 Like

I think this is the guy, a pretty efficient usage monster

He and Funk propelled Bucknell to 9-23!

1 Like

Again… Funk’s role throughout his career was way more dynamic than Baker. He’s still able to shoot on the move and off the bounce in a way that Baker has never done consistently in college.

Downscaling a role (and playing with a great PG) is a great way to have a good year. We are talking about trying to upscale Baker’s role (more minutes, more difficult shots, more positions, guard better players, etc.)

Boston University has a solid guard named Walter Whyte.

3 Likes

Here you go… mid-major jump shooters with over 125 jump shot attempts… Tougher shot selection to the right, more efficient shot making to the top.

This is just data based on jump shots.

If you look someone up… Guys on there right side of the chart could get more efficient in a smaller role. Guys on the left are already taking good shots so there’s no downscaling.

I take this as a tacit endorsement of trying to get Sam Sessoms another year of eligibility. Really struck by Kobe King sort of transforming into a black hole after what seemed like a promising start at Wisconsin.

(also, how can we not recruit a jump-shooter named Isaiah Range)

1 Like

I wish he had a 2nd year with us becuase I am seeing growth about how the coaches and his teammates are using him. So not having a frosh PG, a year removed from injury, 2nd year in the system I think we would see a different Joey Baker.

Having said that, I think there has been some growth with him and his teammates starting around the UNC game. They have been better about finding him and using him as more of a weapon. Hopefully that continues to grow over the year (he’s gotta make shots though!).

I see pretty 3pt shooting numbers and I get excited. I am but a simple man.

Let’s bring Jamal Mashburn, Jr. back to the B1G!

3 Likes

Same chart for high majors shows how good a few Big Ten players have been on jump shots:

FWIW, I think Spencer is quite a bit more athletic than Joey.

1 Like

We all knew Chucky Hepburn was the greatest jump shooter in the nation

3 Likes

I think this is an interesting discussion about the other up transfers becoming elite JAS while Baker hasn’t.

I think my simple brain just sees that Baker is a 6-7 shooter who makes a lot of his threes and has faced P5 defenses his whole career but can’t seem to take enough of them. Meanwhile Duncan and Houstan were also 6-7 JAS who only did that one thing and took a lot when they were on the floor. Baker has limitations, but getting him 6 threes a game should be a goal.

1 Like

I would love Baker to make 6 threes per game, but I think you probably mean 6 3pa per game?

I meant attempts. Figure he makes 2 to 4 on a given night.

1 Like