Big Ten Basketball 2022-23 Discussion

I was going to say I think 13-7 could be in play for winning it.

2 Likes

And itā€™s going to be Wisconsin and Northwestern sharing the title with those records.

3 Likes

This make me feel better. Essentially if UM is top half of conference, we have a good shot to make the tourney :slight_smile:

Well, thatā€™s the thingā€¦ it doesnā€™t really work like that. Soime teams have better or worse non-conference resumes, etc. Tougher or easier league slates. It doesnā€™t really end up mattering where you finish in the league.

Would you rather add Terrance Shannon Jr. or Pete Nance to this Michigan team? They would each be very useful and offer something a bit different than the other.

• Terrence Shannon Jr.
  • Pete Nance

0 voters

That was more difficult than I thought. I like the idea of Nance being a true four and also playing some small ball five. In the end I picked TSJ because I think his defense, ability to score, and ability to help offset our lack of guards won me over.

2 Likes

I think TSJ, too. With 120 minutes at the 1-3 we could nicely fit Dug/Kobe/TSJ/Jett there.

I think that upside is worth it even if we have to play small at the 4 for 5-10 minutes a game to get appropriate minutes.

I donā€™t know if I just hadnt watched enough Shannon videos over the summer but Iā€™ve really been impressed by his ball handling and ability to initiate the offense. Illinois runs through him alot and heā€™s averaging 3 assists per game.

But someone whoā€™s opinion I respect a lot (@Jeffrey_E_Schiller) leans Nance. I think moving TWill to a 6th man role would be great and this would be the proper way to do it. Tough decision.

Pretty easily Shannon I would say. Heā€™d replace Terrance in the starting lineup and would fit nicely.

1 Like

WE REALLY GOT DEVANTE JONES INSTEAD OF PICKETT FOR TWO YEARS IM SO HURT

(Go blue)

1 Like

Loyer and Smith for four years is not going to be fun at all

Interesting that the week that started with OMG Purdue isnā€™t a real title favorite ended up with Matt Painterā€™s team winning two games away from home and carving out a 3-game edge in KenPom projected record by the end of the week.

Methinks if Zed Key plays more than four minutes they go 1-1

1 Like

Did a lot of people really think Purdue wasnā€™t a favorite?

1 Like

Pickett was amazing.

1 Like

These guys are amazing. So solid. They barely foul! Just incredible. I guess itā€™s a nice thing to have Edey behind you.

1 Like

Imagine coaching 25 or so conference games and officials still donā€™t know your nameā€¦ What a terrible look for the conference.

5 Likes

Coming on the heels of Mike Woodsonā€™s comments, this paints a poor picture of Big Ten refs. I wonder if it will bring any changes?

I get mad at missed calls, but am ok with most of them because of the speed of the game and because missed calls tend to even out over the game. Also because I am wrong a lot when I rewind and watch the play again. But changing the way a game is called between halves, not knowing a coachā€™s name (!!), giving too much respect to veteran coaches, being intimidated by coaches who yell (my frustration for the last two date back to Bobby Knight) - these are correctable and it is nice to hear Shrewsbury and Woodson speak up about it.

4 Likes

Iā€™m guessing the ā€œdidnā€™t know his nameā€ ref is Doug Sirmons. Heā€™s never really been a Big Ten ref but appears to be getting league games this year.

Heā€™s definitely a big name (Final Fours, other big leagues) but I donā€™t know if heā€™s ever done a Big Ten game before this year. At least not recently.

2 Likes

I agree with Dylanā€™s guess also. And to his defense if he is new to the league, Shrewsberry isnā€™t a household name (Izzo, Fran, Juwan, etc.) that everybody is going to know. But it is still a bad look.

I do think the B1G has realized they have had a subpar crew of officiating and they have seemed to bring over some more big time/Final Four caliber refs. Guys like Terry Wymer and Bo Boroski leaving have left a gap of big name officials. Say what you will about Bo but he could control a game. So it seems a problem they are working on to some extent. I do respect Shrewsberry and how he went about this. Seemed very measured, kept it about fighting for his guys but also making some very well-reasoned points.

I just think one of the frustrations has to be the double standards that are out there for coaches. His T last night was not demonstrative at all. Who knows what he said, but it did not seem over the top. Contrast that with Fran who should have been kicked out of the Indiana game as the refs let that spiral out of control. Or Izzo going nuts on a clear shot clock violation early in the game just to set up getting calls later. I donā€™t know why guys tolerate that but then wonā€™t let a guy like Micah just talk to them.

I hope he is not upset about what happened at Michigan thoughā€¦you canā€™t have an assistant literally on the court drawing out a play that Michigan is running!

5 Likes

Yep, you must know the names of the head coaches in every game you work. No excuse for that.

2 Likes