Big Ten Basketball 2022-23 Discussion

I believe he was committed to Michigan very early in the recruitment process?

He was not

3 Likes

Fletcher Loyer season shooting splits:
Overall - 37%
Three - 32%

1 Like

Actually watched the last 6 minutes of this game and Rutgers ran the same set every single play until the Cam Spencer three that won Rutgers the game.

1 Like

Vintage Pikiell

3 Likes

Pikiell is now 5-1 against Matt Painter in the last six Rutgers-Purdue games

12 Likes

Thanks for the correction. I must be thinking of a different guy who was from Clarkston.

1 Like

Taylor Currie

2 Likes

didn’t really mean that as a bad thing fwiw… think they scored 4 or 5 times out of it in that period.

Edit: in watching more of the 2nd half, it seems like Purdue was icing ball screens and the action Rutgers was running was basically Zoom action on both sides with the 5 (Omoruyi) handling out top. It is very difficult to ice against Zoom action, so this was pretty good coaching imo @umhoops.

1 Like

Thank you!

Something I had never thought about before: the difference between basketball instincts and basketball IQ. McConnell is at opposite extreme ends when it comes to those.

2 Likes

4 Likes

Current way-too-early KenPom predictions:

14-6: Ohio State, Purdue
13-7: Rutgers
12-8: Indiana
11-9: Michigan, Wisconsin
10-10: Penn State, Maryland, Illinois
9-11: Michigan State
8-12: Nebraska, Iowa, Northwestern
…
…
3-17: Minnesota

Single game results will have big swings in these numbers, especially early. For example, Michigan losing to PSU doesn’t just impact the W/L (flipping a projected win to a L) but it would have KenPom effects for both teams that impact the percentages of the other 17 games.

2 Likes

Going to be another big 10 dog fight this year or wins.

I stumbled across a Spartan post the other day doing a power rankings of the conference as play resumed and they had MSU number four in the conference because Hall is back.

Hall is easily one of their best players (probably best) IMO, so him coming back is pretty crucial. Makes them hard to evaluate (and means they are probably underrated to some unknown extent in the computer numbers since they played over half of the year without him).

You probably could make a similar case for Iowa although the two games with Murray back haven’t been great.

Didn’t mean to imply it was bad coaching. I just always think of Pikiell as someone who goes to what works (puts the ball in the same guy’s hand often down the stretch in games).

Felt like Rutgers was really hunting one-on-one mismatches with Paul’s size at the PG spot all night.

4 letter word starting with HA and ending with L being the best member of their team is something MSU shares with this forum.

:wink:

1 Like

Yeah, and that’s what makes the rest of the season such a wildcard. Iowa with Murray is surely capable of finishing above .500 in the league and MSU with Hall could actually be pretty good despite some of their other limitations. Meanwhile, what do you do with Indiana since they have a couple of good wins but have been blown out three times? Illinois feels like a team who will be way better than 10-10…but they’re already 0-2 against two mediocre teams and got smashed by Missouri.

If you’re an optimist, the league seems pretty wild open and someone like Michigan could get hot and steal plenty of wins. If you’re a pessimist you see every non-MN team as someone capable of winning every game.

1 Like

Not worried about Indiana’s resume because their blowouts were all to good teams away from home. Xavier Johnson injury is a major concern, though.

I’ve been critical of him but he was good this year. IU needs the good version of him to be at their best, and now they have no version of him for an extended period of time.

I’m not an advanced algorithmic math whiz, but isn’t the intense clustering at/around .500 (11 of 14 teams +/- 2 wins) more of a shoulder shrug at this stage? As you said, single games here will have a major impact on these.

FWIW, I still see NW as closer to Minnesota than the rest of the pack, they can’t score at all and I don’t really buy the defensive Renaissance.