Big Ten Basketball 2022-23 Discussion

Carper Coson

3 Likes

It was an illustrative exercise for me. I didnā€™t really realize their wing situation. I thought the Micah Parrish whiff was funny but competitively inconsequential, and now Iā€™m not so sure.

Certainly a wing? Malik Hall

Probably a wing? Pierre Brooks

Playable as a wing? Or more accurately playable as a third guard instead of a wing? Jaden Akins

Honestly not really a wing at all, pretending heā€™s a wing is just begging for trouble? Joey Hauser

Maybe some walk-ons and football players? Keon Coleman, Maliq Carr

If I were Izzo I would go with Door #3. Frankly I think there are pieces here for a B1G champion, itā€™s just kinda Underwoody. Maybe Izzo will transform like Beilein did.

1 - Hoggard (35) | Walker (5)
2 - Walker (30) | Akins (10)
3 - Akins (25) | Hall (15)
4 - Hall (20) | Hauser (20)
5 - Hauser (15) | Kohler (25)

Thereā€™s your rotation, playing only your six best guys. 35 for everyone and 25 for Kohler. If he outplays Hauser they can swap.

1 Like

Opposite knee this time. Heā€™ll likely be able to get a medical redshirt, but athleticism was a big part of his game. Will probably never be what he couldā€™ve been at the D1 level (whatever that mightā€™ve been).

Really big blow for the guy.

5 Likes

I would agree thatā€™s likely gonna be the ideal rotation they can put out there. But thereā€™s a better than decent chance that a Hoggard/Walker/Akins/Hauser/Kohler lineup is beyond bad on defense. Talking Iowa bad. Also would take Izzo playing 4 guys at 35 MPG which ainā€™t happening.

MSU either needs 1. Brooks to actually be a playable rotation (10-20 MPG) guy or 2. The 3 guard lineup to be used and to be effective.

Thereā€™s some potential there but also definitely a much lower floor than I had considered. But itā€™s best I not consider the floor again and continue to emphasize the ceiling instead

A more realistic Izzo rotation probably looks like this:

1 - Hoggard (28) | Walker (12)
2 - Walker (25) | Akins (15)
3 - Hall (15) | Brooks (15) | Akins (10)
4 - Hauser (25) | Hall (15)
5 - Kohler (20) | Sissoko (15) | Hauser (5)

1 Like

I think thatā€™s closer but I wonder if Izzo has the patience to play Walker 37 minutesā€¦or if Walker can survive 37 minutes of up tempo basketball. Cassius topped out at 33 minutes.

Rumor is Rutgers might face Temple on a neutral court. Was surprised to see them rated so highly on Torvik, just between Ohio State and Wisconsin. Move over MJ Melendez, Khalif Battleā€™s projection is coming through!

6 Likes

the next Iowa All-American

2 Likes

Iowa and Rutgers have two of the highest rated B1G commits so far

1 Like

I say this with no dis-respect to Iowa nativesā€¦but imagine being an athlete and saying ā€œyep, Iowa is my dream schoolā€.

3 Likes

Bombing threes and not playing defense is my dream so I get it.

Also: Carson Cooper Koch

9 Likes

Or is it Cooper Carson Koch? No one knows!

1 Like

After the fall of civilization hopefully many years in the future, when whatever beings that are tasked with figuring out what exactly happened here make the proper scientific advances to reach the cloning stages for what humans once were finally get around to replicating the typical Iowa basketball player and run all the DNA diagnostics from all past Iowa basketball players and recruits, Iā€™m pretty sure what they would come up with would look exactly like Cooper Koch.

7 Likes

Iā€™m gonna go to moneyball next week to see what this is looking like but I still am intrigued

2 Likes

Feel like thereā€™s always msu hype from these moneyball games and it never actually means anything.

10 Likes

Means nothing. If youā€™ve ever gone there (I have) youā€™d know.

2 Likes

The difference between real games and anything else makes it so easy to see improvement where there isnā€™t any. People donā€™t realize how much these guys can fill it up without breaking a sweat at all but the highest competitive levels.

5 Likes

I wouldnā€™t believe anything Couch says.

2 Likes

I canā€™t believe that Couch of all people joked about the ā€œTum Tum effectā€.

4 Likes

is there a history there or something?