Big Ten Basketball 2022-23 Discussion

There doesn’t have to be a PG on the first team at all

Technically, but are they gonna do a first team without a single guard? Edey, Hunter, TJD and who else?

Maybe! Those 3 are guaranteed. So there are 2 spots and they wont be beholden to position. Kris Murray is gonna put up stats for Iowa so he’d be a strong candidate for me for one of the spots. No idea who gets the other. Maybe Illinois or MSU’s best player? Hepburn is he wills Wisconsin to decency?

Mulcahy is just a guy, IMO. Cliff has mad hops but is still limited offensively. McConnell is a fabulous defender but is seriously one of the worst offensive players in the conference. Unless he’s going to continue shooting 80% on jumpers and floaters like he did against defense-averse Notre Dame, I’m not seeing a sudden breakout in what will be his 5th season.

I can’t wait to watch a Wisconsin vs Rutgers rock fight. First to 35 points wins.

I’m really hoping that Wisconsin craters this year. They were headed in that direction before Johnny Davis somehow turned into a lottery pick. I don’t dare pick against them given their history of grinding out ugly tournament worthy seasons, but unless Chucky makes a big leap I wonder where they get points from. Same with Rutgers.

I do think Izzo will start the season with Akins on the bench but I think Sissoko will be the starter. That’s Izzo’s MO - reward the veterans as starters initially. That gives you Hall and Hauser plus keeping the freshman big on the bench for now. I do think he’ll quickly realize after benching Sissoko often that his best lineup on offense might be to roll with 3 guards and Hauser at the 5 and then mix-and-match when he rotates the other two bigs in.

2 Likes

Thank you for turning the page, Dylan. This was a great way to close out the previous year’s thread.

Shoot Hoops with Confidence? Someone should have gifted one of these to BJJ.

5 Likes

Feels like a lot of rock fights incoming with all these new pieces for each team. Maybe I should just bet the under on every game all season and see how that goes.

Unlike Wisconsin who has proven they can build winning teams around different cores of players, Rutgers hasn’t proven that they can reload without Geo or RHJ.

1 Like

Tier A
Michigan with Terrence Shannon

Tier B
Indiana
Illinois

Tier C
Michigan
Michigan State
Purdue
Iowa

Tier D
OSU
Rutgers
Maryland

4 Likes

The headband is a good player

1 Like

He seems pretty replacement-level to me. A good effort guy.

I’d definitely put him above replacement level, esp in this version of the B1G. But not sure what a team looks like with him being the #1 or #2 option

1 Like

If Mulcahy is their #1 option then they’re going to stink.

10 Likes

Wasn’t sure where to put this but tragic news. RIP Caleb Swanigan

They’re saying he died of natural causes. Sorry, but there’s no “natural cause” that should result in a 25 year old athlete dying. Tragic. I was thinking about him recently since there might be a resemblance to his game with Tarris Reed.

2 Likes

Hadn’t he gotten up to like 400 pounds or more? I believe I remember amidst losing his career in the nba and the pandemic he really struggled and put on a bunch of weight, which was something he had struggled with his whole life. I don’t think the athlete part was really relevant, when you are 6’9" and 400+ pounds there could be natural causes

Yes Caleb’s weight shot up during Covid. His father was also 600 lbs and diabetic. Caleb himself was about 6’2" 360 in middle school before a growth spurt and serious investment in the sport. I think it does add up to natural causes despite his young age. RIP Caleb

1 Like

T-Reed > Kohler

2 Likes