Big Ten Basketball 2022-23 Discussion

If Mulcahy is their #1 option then they’re going to stink.

10 Likes

Wasn’t sure where to put this but tragic news. RIP Caleb Swanigan

They’re saying he died of natural causes. Sorry, but there’s no “natural cause” that should result in a 25 year old athlete dying. Tragic. I was thinking about him recently since there might be a resemblance to his game with Tarris Reed.

2 Likes

Hadn’t he gotten up to like 400 pounds or more? I believe I remember amidst losing his career in the nba and the pandemic he really struggled and put on a bunch of weight, which was something he had struggled with his whole life. I don’t think the athlete part was really relevant, when you are 6’9" and 400+ pounds there could be natural causes

Yes Caleb’s weight shot up during Covid. His father was also 600 lbs and diabetic. Caleb himself was about 6’2" 360 in middle school before a growth spurt and serious investment in the sport. I think it does add up to natural causes despite his young age. RIP Caleb

1 Like

T-Reed > Kohler

2 Likes

I am summoning @buckets12 to explain to us Michigan plebs why anyone that talks to MSU people are hyping Jaxon Kohler to be legitimately good this year. Not “good for a freshman” but good for anyone. Obv you talk to MSU people, as does Ant who just had Kohler ranked as the 6th best C in the conference (I was typing this post before @DMB43 made his post). Ahead of the likes of Key, Crowl, and even Reese, Beran, Hawkins.

I get it, good footwork, decent shot. Zed Key has good footwork. Julian Reese is a sophomore top 60 big that flashed. Robbie Beran has good footwork and can shoot and is a senior!

But a top 6 center in the league for Kohler?? How can you hold that opinion and not have MSU the favorite in the entire league? I know that’s Ant’s ranking and not yours but you’re a proclaimed Kohler lover so I assume you can’t be far off. Not saying you’re wrong or crazy, just opening the floor for you so we can learn.

Personally I think his chubby cheeks would get stuffed into a trash can by the top 4 centers in the league. Though obviously that doesn’t mean he stinks, those are good players

4 Likes

maybe they are. maybe MSU is going 20-0. did you ever think about that

3 Likes

I also don’t really see how Kohler will be able to stay on the floor against decent centers (which the Big Ten has a lot of). I imagine he will be a disaster defensively and won’t be good enough offensively as a freshman to make up for it.

3 Likes

Right. And that’s a pretty normal expectation for a freshman of his ranking.

3 Likes

Edey is better than Cliff, even accounting for a dropoff going from 19 minutes to 27 minutes a night.

2 Likes

If Reed had committed to MSU, where would he be ranked?

3 Likes

Cliff is going to be a monster this year IMO. He turned a corner the last 1-2 months.

5 Likes

Yeah I don’t get this either. Feels like average B10 center who puts up impressive numbers but gets embarrassed on D is what MSU should be hoping for. Being obviously better than someone like Zed Key feels like a stretch to me.

3 Likes

fwiw MSU people think Kohler is a super duper superstar. The effusiveness of the praise is so overwhelming that it must be based on something

1 Like

He just got on campus like two days ago

2 Likes

It’s based on a hope and a dream. They know they are screwed with only Sissoko and Kohler as options next year so they’ve convinced themselves that Kohler as a freshman will be special because he has some nice footwork in the post based on highlight reels. Problem is he is 6’8-6’9 and not the most fleet of foot. I think he will eventually be pretty good. I just don’t think it’s going to be next year

4 Likes

B1G in general plays with a glacial pace that watching other conference in terms of pace feels almost like a whiplash. I do think style of play and officiating plays a huge factor into it and it’s also another reason why B1G in general struggles in the one and done tournament setting

1 Like