Big Ten Basketball 2019-20 Discussion

Soooo…games are still on today?

They won’t know until it is too late! How dumb! This virus spread asymptomatically during the incubation phase.

1 Like

Hoiberg was tested for victories and the results came back negative.

10 Likes

I just keep refreshing every social media outlet every few minutes to see if this is gonna play out or not…

Not that surprising. Indiana’s confirmed cases went from 10 yesterday to 11 today. They aren’t going to cancel the BTT until their hand is forced.

Prepare for every game to be the last. Win or lose.

Yeah with Hoiberg just having regular flu I assume it will go on as planned. Just hoping somehow no ncaa tourney players have contracted it.

1 Like

If I had to guess, I’m thinking every day from here on out is essentially going to be a question of if games will happen.

1 Like

They should play the games in HS gyms. Make for a more intimate setting like the beautiful banquet room games in the Bahamas

1 Like

Just seems shocking that conference tournaments by and large are planning to proceed. I’m happy as a viewer but I’m stunned that’s the accepted plan

NBA was going to move forward until Gobert tested positive. And that’s exactly what the NCAA will do. Too much to lose.

At this point, why not proceed? The infection is beyond containment. All these measures are to slow down the infection rate so new infections do not overwhelm the capacity of our healthcare system, allowing those who do have serious infections to receive medical care that could save their life. And most people who get infected will be fine (like Rudy Gobert seemingly is). Getting rid of thousands of people crammed together for a couple hours is what needs to happen from a public health standpoint.

It comes down to whether the NCAA wants to cancel the tournament before or after a player tests positive.

1 Like

Have any other coaches said this?

Fife claims he was misquoted, FWIW.

Honestly doesn’t sound like an Izzo take to me. If anything he would downplay the seriousness of the virus and blame twitter for causing mass hysteria, while victim-blaming sick people for distracting his players

5 Likes

My thoughts as someone who has always been very concerned about this from months ago:

I don’t think these tournaments are necessary to cancel from a “contain the pandemic perspective”. Playing a basketball game in an empty gym isn’t significantly more dangerous than going to the grocery store. Getting rid of fans was the important step. It’s more about the PR trade-offs of players infecting players. But once a player is infected, that changes the calculus.

7 Likes

I suspected he must have been misquoted because I agreed with him.

5 Likes