Big Ten Basketball 2019-20 Discussion

They’re fooling themselves. That is obviously not the worst-case scenario. If any players contract it, the tournament will be effectively cancelled.

1 Like

Yep, that’s why I was sure to give my own caveat.

1 Like

Fair enough. But even 4 days ago that tweet reflected some seriously magical thinking.

3 Likes

Just chiming in also as a student at U-M saying that all the chatter I’ve heard is that there will be something announced by the end of the day. I would not be at all surprised to see in-person classes getting cancelled.

1 Like

Naturally the three categories of people at greatest risk of serious complications/mortality from COVID-19 are
—The aged
—Those with pre-existing chronic health conditions/compromised immune systems
—College athletes

Playing without crowds I can understand. As of now, cancelling the NCAA Tournament altogether seems excessive.
If any players get it before or during the event (on campus, at hotel, wherever), that changes everything.

1 Like

The issue is we won’t know that until it’s well under way since the symptoms can take so long to show. If they decide to play, the risk is that someone already has it and doesn’t know or is about to get it. And then pass it on to the other teams, who then pass it on to the teams from the next weekend, etc.

I think playing in front of no fans is the best course of action at the moment FWIW. But it’s not without risk.

I guess it ultimately comes down to what are the chances that someone on or connected to one of the teams has it? I legitimately do not know. Seems low at the moment so long as the teams essentially isolate themselves moving forward. Would be great if we could just test everyone before hand but that’s probably not possible or the best use for the scarce amounts of tests we have.

2 Likes

1 Like

I hear you. The biggest mistake the CDC is making right now is limiting testing to a relatively select few. They weren’t prepared for this at all. I’ll add that the guidelines they provided to health workers caring for Ebola patients several years ago were also completely wrong.Screenshot_2020-03-09 What the CDC Got Wrong About Ebola

2 Likes

Good link. This is the most disturbing part to me:

Social distancing is difficult in high-density population areas. I do my best because I fall into the chronic health problems/compromised immune system category.

I do think the precautions are about slowing rate of infection to avoid destroying the ability of hospitals to cope, rather than stopping the virus. It’s already a pandemic, and I don’t think it can or will be contained. I think it will be with us for a long time.

Fans are going to be allowed through the BTT.

Wild. Money talks.

1 Like

@umhoops you going still?

This may be the only way to get into the Final Four if Michigan makes it…

https://mercedesbenzstadium.com/employment/

4 Likes

In-person classes cancelled at UofM through the rest of the semester (till April 21). Class is cancelled fully the next two days, and will resume online on Monday.

Sorry that I am being cynical, but here is the first thought that entered my mind after reading that statement:

Oh, and I’m talking about the B1G statement not the UM statement.

Interesting that the statement doesn’t mention consultation with the great doctors, including epidemiologists and virologists at the outstanding medical schools of the B1G member universities. My guess is the reason for that is simple, they simply didn’t ask those medical schools for guidance. Let’s face it, if you don’t ask the doctors, then they have no chance to tell you what you don’t want to hear and you don’t have to go forward against medical advice. So, the B1G has left it up to the host facility, the NCAA, and the county health department. Two of those organizations stand to make a lot of money on the event and the third just might feel the weight of the world come down on them if they said, “No” to the B1G Basketball Tournament. It IS Indiana and it’s basketball.

1 Like

Das ist gut. https://www.barrons.com/articles/two-companies-are-making-progress-on-coronavirus-treatments-the-stocks-arent-responding-51583779661

All you need to know is the last line “we will continue to consult with Pacers Sports & Entertainment, Bankers Life Fieldhouse, the Marion County Public Health Department, and the NCAA.”

3 of those should not be consulted with at all.

The Big Ten has some serious egg on their face now. Literally 30 minutes ago they said they were gonna play with fans.