Big Ten Basketball 2019-20 Discussion

Purdue shutdown as well.Going all online.

My mom is a professor at UM and she told me last night that they are telling all the professors to do what they have to do to teach the rest of the semester online. I feel like it’s got to be imminent. In terms of the BTT though, still nothing as been announced and there are games today. How they didn’t make an announcement last night bewilders me.

4 Likes

So what is the realistic expected outcome at this point? NCAA tournament games with no crowds? Is there a real threat that games are postponed/cancelled?

Have tickets for the Greensboro regional and I’ve already braced myself for the announcement that the games will be played behind closed doors. IMO there’s too much TV money to be lost by cancelling the games altogether. I don’t think they’ll even consider that.

I would guess not based purely on the culture of sport in America. And in my completely non-expert view I don’t see a ton of risk in them taking chartered planes and playing games in empty arenas. And yeah the TV money

3 Likes

I would have said no but colleges shutting down is going to make that more of a chance IMO. Especially as cases pop up at campuses (MSU has a “probable case” now). What happens if a team is exposed and in mandatory quarantine? They forfeit?

This is what happened basically with Arsenal/Man City. Arsenal came into contact with Olympiako’s owner who tested positive. Now Man City refusing to play the game.

4 Likes

Wait Dylan where are you seeing that MSU has a case?

1 Like

Are crowds still expected to be there tonight for BTT games?

Big Ten hasn’t sent out any announcement. I agree with this tweet that everyone is waiting for someone to tell them they can’t so that they can cash in their insurance.

1 Like

Hey guys maybe it was already mentioned but I think there’s a case confirmed at U-M. Pretty intense stuff. As a student here with 2 months left to go before graduating, it’s really weird timing but our classes should go online ASAP. Stay safe guys.

Pacers played against Boston in front of a full Banker’s Life last night. Appears they believe they can do the same with likely smaller crowds today for NW vs Golden Goofups and Nebrasketball vs IU.

1 Like

If anyone is concerned or curious about what is happening with the virus in Indiana, this site provides a quick breakdown of cases. https://www.in.gov/isdh/28470.htm?utm_source=agency-website&utm_medium=&utm_campaign=&utm_term=&utm_content=

Based on what’s been reported, the “worst case scenario” is games without fans, but not cancellation. Certainly could change, but that’s what’s been reported.

4 Likes

Games without fans would be enjoyable to watch as long as the mics picked up whatever the coaches are yelling about.

5 Likes

I’m told that UM classes are to go online tomorrow and that there will be an announcement by the end of the day. That’s certainly where things are trending.

Give me a whole tourney of FS1 all access style basketball or give me death

5 Likes

Future quotes: Tom Izzo after MSU’s loss to 14-seed Belmont: “We’ve never had to shoot in an empty arena before and it created a lot of weird shots. By nature of being a small school, they were advantaged by the environment.”

19 Likes

That was also 4 days ago.