Big Ten Basketball 2019-20 Discussion

Me too. I think it could just be him making an educated guess from both the mass hysteria and the actual increase in cases lately. Doesn’t necessarily mean he’s heard from any sources.

Edit: Izzo also just said he hasn’t heard anything about any potential changes to the tournament

1 Like

Time to cancel the NCAA Tournament too. No fun allowed for anyone.

3 Likes

Why not just play without fans?

1 Like

NCAA marketing will put canned cheers everytime a team scores. Pretty much like the recorded under “live audience” sitcoms.

5 Likes

Hey, if it can make Alan Alda funny, it can do anything!

2 Likes

This is so overblown. .0000024% of the US population has a confirmed case of the coronavirus. We aren’t having large spikes in the number of cases reported each day. 3/1 had the most with 19 cases reported. CDC’s numbers show the most since then was 12 on 3/5.

I know this can be a big deal for people with autoimmune disorders and people over 50, but reacting like this is the second coming of the black plague is insanity.

8 Likes

Three reasons I’m completely on board:

1. It works well for my travel plans.
  2. I’m 49 years old.
  3. My autoimmunity is okay with the exception of a tired liver.

(Goes without saying that I’m not making light of those who’ve become ill because of this.)

1 Like

There’s probably no need to discuss this on here, but you won’t have reported cases if no one has access to a testing kit.

It’s in the US and is spreading everyday. It’s not out of line to take precautions to prevent the spread even if there are few reported cases. Imo

5 Likes

True. Take precautions, but those are easy. If you’re sick, stay home. Wash your hands on a regular basis. Don’t touch your face so much. REALLY simple stuff.

Incubation period of 2 weeks. That won’t help that much.

5 Likes

I would say that based on a) more testing becoming available and b) the growth curve of every other country’s case count that you can expect there to be a much more significant number of cases over the next few days.

4 Likes

Except we both know that people that have tickets to the first 2 rounds and final 4 aren’t gonna do that. People are dumb haha.

2 Likes

We aren’t every other country. We are a giant land mass compared to Italy and South Korea.

China is a smaller land mass than us and their coronavirus cases were mostly contained to the Wuhan region because of it and only .007% of the Wuhan population contracted the virus. Obviously they took measures to quarantine that region, but you’re just not going to see a virus spread the same over a country that is 3.8 million square miles (US) vs 116,000 square miles (Italy) or 38,691 square miles (South Korea).

I feel like if you add up the population density for the major areas. NYC, DC, Seattle, etc. you have a pretty similar density as Italy/South Korea. North Dakota and South Dakota are likely safe though

Correct regarding major areas. New York is going to be more dense than most cities on earth.

Still, our population density is 94 people per square mile in the US. Five times lower than Italy and South Korea. Harder to spread across the country.

Italy had 150 cases on February 23, two and a half week ago. They had 888 cases on February 28, less than two weeks ago. I don’t know Italy’s up to the minute number of cases but it was 9,172 yesterday. They have had 631 deaths as of reporting just a few minutes ago, a massive jump just from yesterday. The concern is not just about how many confirmed cases there are now. Health officials, and I’m sure the B1G and the NCAA will become, if they are not already, VERY concerned about spread.

2 Likes

Italy also has the oldest population in Europe. That’s why their mortality rate is higher than everywhere else. Almost 1/4 of their residents are 65+. The median age is 47.3 years old. Having an older population can help spread the virus because older people have weaker immune systems. We are not Italy. Our median age is almost a decade younger than them and our 65+ population is 16%.

I guess I just don’t get what you’re saying. It already has spread across the country. It’s in NYC, it’s in DC, it’s in Seattle, it’s in the Midwest. These are all very dense areas.

There are confirmed cases in almost every state except for the extremely rural ones.

1 Like

My point is how small the number of cases are. In your graph, all of Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Missouri, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Kentucky combine for 18 cases. More people get killed by toasters than that per year.

3 Likes

While not to understate the seriousness of the virus, visual representations like this do much more harm than good. It makes it seem like the country is quickly dying off.

1 Like