Big Ten Basketball 2019-20 Discussion

While losing 2 of their top 3 scorers mid season.

Who did Wisconsin lose aside from Kobe King? Are you referring to Davison being suspended for their game against MSU?

They also got Potter available in mid-December. I know I was way wrong on the impact he’d have on their team!

1 Like

It will be interesting to see how we come out in the BTT. Beilein was an absolute master at getting his teams ready for tourney situations - 12-0 in the first round of the BTT! And only one first-round loss in the NCAAs. So far our play in neutral courts under Juwan has been very promising. Hopefully that continues.

3 Likes

Help me understand the BTT seeding…

I was thinking Wisconsin would win the outright 1 today with a win - which they got.

Seeing some conflicting stuff though. The scenario where Michigan/MSU/Illinois all win tomorrow locks in MSU as the one…which I guess I’m missing something.

I thought under that scenario, Maryland and Illinois would be tied with Maryland owning the tiebreaker against Illinois due to the head to head 2-0 record. Wisconsin and MSU would be tied at the top and split their season series which means their win % agains the next team in the standings comes into play. Wisconsin was 1-0 and MSU 1-1 against Maryland, thus making Wisconsin the 1.

What did I miss there?

The tiebreaker is record against #3 teams, so it is record against Maryland and Illinois. Not one of them.

1 Like

Ahhh…there it is…

Just a few brain cells short of getting that one :slight_smile:

Appreciate it.

Rutgers shooting uncharacteristically lights out from three.

Hoping that Purdue comes back because a Rutgers win complicates things for us a bit more.

what do you mean?

Talking about Maryland as the #3 team, after they had that big lead in the standings, is wild. I know they had a back-loaded schedule but it seemed just about sewn up for them after their miracle in Minnesota. Turgeon gonna Turgeon I guess.

Will the winner of this Purdue vs Rutgers game be in the 8/9 game or is there a more complicated scenario?

From my understanding, a Purdue win means that we simply play Purdue in the first round - and then likely Wisconsin in the second round (unless Michigan, MSU, and Illinois all win tomorrow, then we play MSU)

If Rutgers wins, we LIKELY play Rutgers in the first round - and then likely Wisconsin in the second round (unless Michigan and Illinois both win tomorrow, then we play MSU). In fact, if Michigan, OSU, and Illinois all win tomorrow, then we get pushed to a 7th seed, play #10 Purdue, and then have to face #2 MSU. So all I mean is that there’s a little more uncertainty here with our round 1 opponent and round 2 opponent if Rutgers wins.

The winner will be in the 8/9 game for sure, but not necessarily against Michigan (see above)

I believe Purdue beating Rutgers is better for our resume as it moves Purdue closer to the top 30 in Net rankings.

2 Likes

Yeah, the tricky thing is that U-M could then beat Purdue in the BTT and hypothetically lose a Q1 win (but gain another). A good example of why quadrants are stupid.

2 Likes

this is a smashing game. very exciting

Yes that is the perfect example of quandrant stupidity, but that is the NCAA for you.

Actively cheering for a sloppy brickfest. Makes me feel better about our round one chances.

Purdue may be the tougher out for us. Will be like a home game for them and they may need that win to get into the tourney.

We’ve seen both these teams twice. I don’t think there’s much more to learn. I have a slight preference for Rutgers because of their home/road split and the BTT being in Indianapolis.

2 Likes

Yeah, I don’t think there’s much to learn either. I just hope that some cold shooting today can translate to Thursday lol