Big Ten Basketball 2019-20 Discussion

A circumstance for which there is no recent precedent.

1 Like

From the Wolverine:
“Michigan isn’t a terrible free throw shooting team, by any means. Coming out of the Wisconsin loss, it stood eighth in the 14-team Big Ten at 71.3 percent. Junior forward Isaiah Livers is hitting them at 95.3 percent, with a perfect 31-for-31 in Big Ten play.”

If you take Liver"s 31 out of 31, in B1G play, out of the formula what do you suppose the rest of the players, collectively, shoot percentage wise? 50%?

1 Like

If you remove Isaiah’s perfect 31/31 from Michigan’s conference-only FT numbers, its percentage drops to 68.2% (187/274). That would put Michigan 10th in the league between PSU and IU.

Here are Michigan’s conference-only FT numbers by player:

2 Likes

Barto is awful. Dude lost it because PSU got an easy layup on a fast break, acting like it’s some rarity. Literally said when we probably won’t see that again all day.

I’m curious to know our FT percentage in the last 5 minutes of a game. It feels like it’s worse than the rest of the game, but I don’t have the numbers behind that (and I know Simpson gets fouled a lot at the end).

Is this the first game of the season MSU has been an underdog?

Yes it is.

So they’ve lost 9 games as the betting favorite. Wow

2 Likes

Iowa without Garza finishes 5-15 in B1G.

1 Like

I went through the conference slate and added up Michigan’s FT attempts starting at the 5:00 mark plus overtime, using Yahoo Sports game logs. I found they shot 67% (79/118) in late game situations, which is about 4.5% worse than their overall conference figure (71.5%).

(Yes, I have too much time on my hands.)

17 Likes

I wonder if Tommy will encourage his “by far” the best defensive player in the conference to take his talents to a higher level next season

5 Likes

No, no. “by far better than anyone in the conference, but never the NBA. Not after four years… NOT EVER.”

Yeah, I hope if he believes XT is the best Big ten defender by far then he will STRONGLY advocate for him throughout the draft process and encourage him to leave to take care of his two children

3 Likes

Watching State versus Maryland. Jay Bilas just said Cassius Winston and Xavier Tillman are the best pick and roll duo in B1G basketball. That true @umhoops?

I shed a tear thinking about when X and Teske held that title

@umhoops is a closet MSU fan so he agrees! The efficiency numbers say they are best in the country! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Honestly it’s just unreasonable to expect Maryland to compete with another late tip. Cards are stacked against them

5 Likes

That’s me! Closet Michigan State fan :joy::joy::joy:

See… Go Green! …

:face_vomiting: minimum chars

1 Like