Big Ten Basketball 2019-20 Discussion

What is the recent history of B1G conference champions that DID NOT lead the league in EM?

Would have to go back and look closer. Usually, there are more teams separated from the pack, the more interesting trend to me is that Maryland is closer to the pack than to MSU – 3.9 points per 100 back from MSU which is a gap that includes the next 7 teams below it.

Go Terrapins!!! Win this thing outright with your bad EM self. Might as well virtually wrap this thing up with a victory Saturday against the Spartans

1 Like

That EM is what it is. I’m just not a buyer on MSU this year.

Five combined wins over ( NW, MN, NEB ).

Illini last minute win on road prevented a five game losing streak.

Nebraska came along at right time, and a short handed Iowa gave them all they wanted at home.

1 Like

The next week should be interesting. I think Michigan State finishes 2-1 but there’s a better chance it finishes 3-0 than 1-2. I could be wrong though.

Either way, three pivotal games.

Be interesting. PSU and MARYLAND games both on road, and each have already beaten MSU at Breslin.

1 Like

He misspelled “haters.” Credibilty gone.

1 Like

Maryland would still have to lose two games and Wisconsin would have to beat this coaching staff on the road.

1 Like

Are we better off if Young plays or if he’s out? He’s a good player but might we match up better against their bigger lineup than their 3 guard lineup and Andre Wesson at the 4?

Since Young manages to grab nearly every loose ball and contested rebound, I would say the latter.

5 Likes

And he’s apparently got a tearaway jersey to draw flagrant fouls…

11 Likes

B10 players on Sam’s board:

#21 - Jalen Smith
#25 - Xavier Tillman
#28 - Daniel Oturu
#33 - Cassius Winston
#37 - Ayo Dosunmu
#47 - Kaleb Wesson
#58 - Joe Wieskamp
#61 - Aaron Henry
#78 - Lamar Stevens
#81 - Isaiah Livers
#93 - Trayce Jackson-Davis
#95 - Luka Garza

1 Like

I’m surprised TJD isn’t higher. Just lack of a three point shot holding him back?

Vecenie’s philosophy (and is one that mirrors many, but not all, NBA teams) is that there is now a higher threshold for bigs so to speak. A big that can score around the basket and rebound is a dime a dozen and can be found on the waiver wire at any time. They need some really stand out skills to move high up draft boards.

1 Like

Re Franz: “Yeah Franz has been great the last two weeks. I’ve long thought of him as two-and-done, but a big March could obviously change that. Will note, that even in the month long stretch where he’s averaging something like 13 points per game, he’s made under 30 percent from 3. So I think he still has some growth in terms of adjusting his shot to getting it off a bit more quickly and consistently mechanically”

If Sam is right on Tillman, he gone.

1 Like

I think that Franz has the look of a player that would be told one or two very specific things on which to improve if he tested the waters, much like Kaleb Wesson, or Mo.

1 Like