Big Ten Basketball 2019-20 Discussion

Yep agreed on the Indiana opinion. You just KNOW they’ll want the 100% assurance that a W over Michigan brings though!

This is just my opinion, but my thoughts are:

• Finish 1-2, lose BTT opener: 8 or 9 seed.
  • Finish 2-1, lose BTT opener: 5 or 6 seed.
  • Finish 1-2, win BTT opener: 6 or 7 seed.
  • Finish 2-1, win BTT opener: 5 seed.

Any other scenarios are all good and obviously would mean possible protected seed.

I think that’s pretty close. Have a hard time imagining we’d fall to an 11 as long as we beat Nebraska.

7 Likes

Obviously I subscribe to the “keep the expectations low and be pleasantly surprised if they are exceeded” camp… just like my parents did with me! Wait…

4 Likes

Same. Even the catastrophic scenario of losing to Nebraska, I would assume worst case it’s low 10 or high 11 seed. No play-in game.

Was really looking forward to the Minnesota/Purdue play-in game until Richie and Co. sh*t the bed…twice.

1 Like

7 posts were merged into an existing topic: Bracket Watch: February 28th, 2020

Hard for me to envision many situations where Wesson is a productive NBA player than Livers…

Can we keep this thread on Big Ten talk… Bracket discussion can go in today’s bracket column thread.

I was talking about BTT seedings :rofl: @adamsmit86

3 Likes

Ah. My bad! Please disregard. Hahaha

1 Like

Would people really think Indiana in the BTT is a bad draw?

Nope. Indiana would be a very good draw. There might be a better second opponent than Maryland if Michigan avoids the 8/9 game, but IU would be a good first game.

Home fans behind them and really needing a win? I consider that a tough draw.

I get Rutgers and/or Purdue would also need a win, but they’d have the advantage of the home crowd.

I just think Indiana is worse than both by a decent margin and U-M matches up well.

2 Likes

Not really, but @MaizeBlue10 has a point.

Out of the feasible scenarios, I like the one where we finish 7th, play Rutgers, and then 2-seed Wisconsin.

1 Like

Is that just because of “home court advantage” or would you say the same thing if the game was in Chicago?

Not a chance. Love that matchup. It’s a likely win AND it helps our resume a bit too, pretty great scenario to have.

If it was in Chicago, I wouldn’t care if it’s Indiana, Rutgers or Purdue. I still see it as three desperate teams, not who’s the best matchup.

I tilt it toward rather playing Rutgers or Purdue because it’s in Indianapolis. It’s not always matchup-based and analytics. I think you always go that route and don’t account for the mental aspect enough.

I will buy the home-court advantage as somewhat of a factor. I don’t think it matters who the game is against as far as desperation, anyone Michigan plays on Thursday is going to be fighting to make the NCAA Tournament.

If you want other mental aspects about why it could be good to play IU: Indiana is routinely terrible in the Big Ten Tournament, it can be tough to beat a team three times, Indiana probably has the worst coach of the bunch.

1 Like

Difficulty beating a team three times in a row is a myth:

Worst coach of the bunch?: Sure agree there.

Being terrible in the BTT historically: I don’t think this is very relevant.