Big Ten announces 7-year media rights deal with CBS, FOX, NBC and Peacock

I just can’t agree that we are more likely to have a Peacock around than FS1 in 5 years time. And the exposure argument is a very real one. Money does make people sleep better at night but I still argue this is a short term gain and long term loss.

I mean, we just saw NBCSN go away. I don’t think FS1 will poof and disappear, but I’d say the next 7 years will show services like Peacock or Paramount or Amazon or Apple trending upward and sports package cable channels trending downward.

3 Likes

The Big East has largely been fine exposure wise without any games on ESPN.

1 Like

Cable has absolutely not been my best bang for the buck. Maybe cause I’m not in a traditional BTN territory, but any package(incl internet) I can get that also has BTN costs me $150+ because of outrageous fees added. YTTV plus internet has been cheaper for me than cable for 6 years now, esp now since I set up a loosely Terms of Agreement illegal setup where I’m splitting with a couple friends.

I can kind of get the exposure argument for MBB, esp from an NIL standpoint. Hunter has had a lot of national endorsements. But I guess ultimately a lot of games will be on Fox/NBC/CBS, so is that a huge drop off if Peacock/BTN/FS1 take the weeknight ESPN inventory? IDK

1 Like

Bang for who’s buck?

Also… Peacock is literally built into the cable box of one of the largest cable providers :rofl:

1 Like

I tihnk for these discussion Hulu/YTTV count as cable, as they are just showing you the broadcast network.

1 Like

Well, it’s definitely second tier based on the numbers. You will have all of the big weekend games on CBS and FOX.

Then I assume FS1 draws next because they have more games. Then you would think that the Peacock draw is somewhere between FS1 and BTN.

I would also assume that they’d do everything that they can to make sure they get one or two big games (like City/Liverpool) to build their subscriber base.

I don’t think people will invest into The Peacock for the equivalent of 90 hrs of basketball. How many hours of The Tour De France did you watch on The Peacock?

It just seems like USA has the third/fourth best EPL game each day. I almost became a Wolves fan because they’re on USA like 1/2 the season.

2 Likes

Hmm I guess so. In a sense, yes But it’s delayed which some people seem to really hate, but hasn’t bothered me except for a few times I’ve spoiled myself on this forum for big shots

I’m pretty sure that has nothing to do with B1G basketball games. I think fans of the B1G will watch the games on Peacock, doubt a casual CBB fan will though or even diehards of other conferences. So the question is how much are those people watching random weeknight B1G games anyway? And if that loss will really change much

2 Likes

Peacock isn’t that bad for navigation fwiw, now Paramount Plus on the other hand is the damn devil of ad blocker control and terrible interface.

Definitely haven’t noticed that myself. Obviously, the 10 slot on Saturday ends up with a lot of games on Peacock though.

Exactly how many hours of The Tour De France that I’ve ever watched on The Cable.

9 Likes

I just think the part of this that is generally underrated is how much TV technology is going to consolidate around the smart TV/device and really replacing the cable box as how we interact with a TV and I think by the end of the 7 year deal we will think of streaming networks more as channels than we do now.

And yes, there might be some consolidation along the way to help get us there but still shifting in that direction.

I also assume a ton of SEC content will be on ESPN+, for example.

Champions League nightmares trying to operate that app. I will say though, Peacock was a bit like that in the start.

I just think selling out to the Peacock is shortsighted. When you know they will show Iowa at USC and Minnesota at UCLA for basketball that will get poor viewership in the east and arguably the biggest footprint for the conference in NY. Isn’t that why they wanted Rutgers? Is it worth gaining California we already know the Pac12 Network was a flop.

From an exposure standpoint, I’d say you are basically losing that one prime ESPN game per week I would say. The primetime Robbie Hummel game on real ESPN.

FS1 had already eaten into a lot of that inventory (unfortunately because their broadcast crew is horrible, hopefully the new deal can pay for some talent who cares about the league) but those were “exposure” spots that were pretty baked into their overall programming.

The ESPN2/ESPNU type of stuff much less so IMO.

How is Prey doing? It’s gotten great reviews

One of my students sold a TV show to Peacock so I’m all on board.