Beilein's strengths/weaknesses

But…but…Izzo is the general. His players don’t make silly end-of-game mistakes.

JB going with the 131 quite a bit right now against Rutgers…way too many holes that I’m seeing. A better team would be taking advantage of it.

But look at the lineup we had for about a 3 minute stretch - Dakich, Irvin, Dawkins, Chatman and Bielfeldt lol. Then Spike came in for Dakich and this lineup finished the half haha

Rutgers can’t pass or shoot so seems like an okay move. I kind of like both zones considering the only advantage Rutgers has is the one on one match up at the four.

Man this game really highlights the joys and pains of a JB coached team - perimeter players will no doubt evolve and improve throughout the course of the season, while interior defense is just a formality that will result in the opposition getting 2 points on most post possessions -we simply are never going to be a good post D team

But...but...Izzo is the general. His players don't make silly end-of-game mistakes.

Lol yea, I’m looking pretty silly with that argument right now. Still do not like a coach asking his players what they want to do in crunch time. Beilein’s the coach, Beilein’s supposed to take responsibility for the decision and make the call.

I am thinking the way Coach B (And Michigan for that matter) has handled the Austin Hatch situation would give great comfort to any parent who is getting ready to send their child off to college.

I am thinking the way Coach B (And Michigan for that matter) has handled the Austin Hatch situation would give great comfort to any parent who is getting ready to send their child off to college.

I think it was mentioned in another thread, but I think JB easily resonates with parents, the issue is that he most likely doesn’t relate well with the kids. At the end of the day, the kid is signing the NLI, so that is who the connection is most imperative with

Supports my contention that JB is very good with sufficient time to prepare. But I don’t necessarily think spur of the moment in game adjustments, or making adjustments on the fly is his strong suit.

Michigan in the Big Ten Tournament under John Beilein: First Game: 8-0 Second Game: 1-6 U-M's second BTT game is vs. Wisconsin.

— Drew Hallett (@DrewCHallett) March 12, 2015

I think a lot of that is a product of our second game opponent. Usually the first game has been against a mid level or bottom Big Ten team. A lot of those second games have been as underdogs against top 4 seeds

Agree with @JohnB and also think that Beilein’s roster/rotation don’t really play into a great Big Ten tournament team because U-M usually doesn’t go deep in its bench.

Supports my contention that JB is very good with sufficient time to prepare. But I don't necessarily think spur of the moment in game adjustments, or making adjustments on the fly is his strong suit.

Michigan in the Big Ten Tournament under John Beilein: First Game: 8-0 Second Game: 1-6 U-M's second BTT game is vs. Wisconsin.

— Drew Hallett (@DrewCHallett) March 12, 2015

Idk. At WVU, his record in the Big East Tournament:
1st Game - 2-3
Rest of the tournament (as games are played on consecutive days)- 2-2
NCAA Tournament/NIT (1st round/Sweet 16/Final Four =Game 1, 2nd round/Elite 8/Champ Game = Game 2, NIT, I only included sets of games in which there was 1 day or less b/w games)
1st Game - 6-1
2nd Game - 5-1
Michigan NCAA Tournament
1st Game - 7-1
2nd Game - 3-4

As JohnB stated, most of those 6 losses in the BTT have been to quality teams. 4 of them were to the 1 or 2 seed in the conference. 2 of the games were “toss ups” IMO and we lost both.

I don’t really have a problem with criticizing JB as an in game coach, but I don’t think his record in the BTT or single elimination tournaments is the right data to look at to prove it.

2010 vs OSU still kills me…honestly think we would’ve won the entire B10 tourney and went to the dance had we won that game

I think a lot of that is a product of our second game opponent. Usually the first game has been against a mid level or bottom Big Ten team. A lot of those second games have been as underdogs against top 4 seeds

In the early years (IE pre 2012) this has some merit, but from 2012 - present, we were near, or above, the opposition in terms of seeding in the 2nd game…and we’re 0-3. Just don’t think JB is a master at making adjustments in quick turnaround/spur of the moment situations.

2012 is really the only one. 2013 we lost to Wisconsin that had a bye, so even though I agree we could/should have won that, Wisconsin had the extra prep time. 2014 we won our second game and lost to msu in the championship.

2012 is really the only one. 2013 we lost to Wisconsin that had a bye, so even though I agree we could/should have won that, Wisconsin had the extra prep time. 2014 we won our second game and lost to msu in the championship.

Still not buying it…don’t really care that Wisconsin had a bye and we didn’t. Wisonsin had a bye, but still had to await the outcome of our initial game, so prep time is the same.

I’d assume in a 5-12 scenario more prep time is alloted to the 5 seed. Even so, that would make him 1-2 since 2012. Hardly a large enough sample size

I'd assume in a 5-12 scenario more prep time is alloted to the 5 seed. Even so, that would make him 1-2 since 2012. Hardly a large enough sample size

2012-2014 isn’t the absolute relevant sample size, its only the sample size if you want to restrict the data to what you feel the criteria should be. The data has to be taken in totality. By pure luck, you would think the second game record would be better than 1-6.

I’m not sure that losing as a 9 seed to a 1 seed is a fair measurement though. Given a week to prepare, how many of those games would you expect us to win?

I'm not sure that losing as a 9 seed to a 1 seed is a fair measurement though. Given a week to prepare, how many of those games would you expect us to win?

I think a few more, as I think JB is an excellent coach if you give him that much time to prepare…he’s shown that he can gameplan with the very best when given sufficient time throughout his tenure at UM.

as I think JB is an excellent coach

Woah! What’d you do with the real MattD?